1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jet :'(

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, May 2, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Got a bad start to the morning today when I woke up and checked on the kittens. One of them, Jet, had died during the night.

Quick backstory: I left for my Charlotte trip a few weeks ago but didn't know either of my cats was pregnant. One of the cats, unfortunately, got locked into Little Man's room for a couple of days and had two kittens, apparently the day I left. Anyway, one of the kittens died the night I returned 10 days later. In the meantime, my sister, Lieslntx, checked on them every day, feeding them, petting them, etc.

Well, the one surviving kitten from that cat was called Jet, by Little Man, who has a habit of naming animals based on whatever he sees at the moment (he tried to call the two kittens from the other cat, born on the same day, Lamp and Fan). He named her Jet because when he first saw her, he was holding a miniature version of the airplane I'd flown home on.

Because Jet's mom wasn't giving a lot of milk, I moved her to the other new momma cat and she took her in as one of her own, feeding, cleaning and holding her, just like her other two kittens. Jet seemed to be doing fine, meowing and moving around with the other kittens, although she was a little smaller than the other two.

And then this morning... :'(

I quickly buried her but I couldn't bring myself to tell Little Man when he woke up, and thankfully he didn't go see the kittens like he usually does. I just don't even know how to tell him, either.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: RIP: Jet

Wow, that's brutal.

I know some crazy lengths people have gone to keep a pet's death from a kid.

One is to pretend he ran away. Another is to buy one that looks just like it. Or you can have a very uncomfortable death conversation with a kid, who based on the picture is probably about 3 or 4... Cute kid by the way...

Or you can tell your son that the kitten disobeyed you and you snapped his neck...

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Actually, he's 5 1/2 and thank you for the kind words. I've always tried to be honest with Little Man but I didn't tell him about the first kitten which died. However, he's going to know that Jet is gone and she's too young to run away. I can say I gave her away....or just be honest. Grapple, grapple, grapple.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Tell the truth. You don't want him finding out later (even way later) that you lied about it. Sit him down tonight, make sure you've got some Kleenex for the inevitable tears, and do it.

You might offer to get a new kitten. Shelters have tons of them.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about the band.

RIP to your kitty cat, Alley.

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It will break your heart to do so, but I would go for being honest with him.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I agree. I just feel really bad about it all.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Got a chuckle out of this line.

You should have gone with Lamp. Would then be standard course in the AA household to go, "I love Lamp" for years to come.

Sorry about the loss of Jet. I know it will be painful for Little Man, but I would also recommend going with the truth.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So we have Homer, so named because the Simpsons were on TV at the time we were trying to name her. Fuzz, because he had a handful of it that she'd shed as we were trying to name her, and, of course, Jet. When we were in the car last week discussing potential names for the other two kittens, he suggested Flag and Cloud, since that's what he was seeing at the time.

I have GOT to write a book or make a movie about this kid.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Sorry to hear about Jet. :'(

11. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Can be a bonding time between father and son.... I remember some years back, when Dan the 10th and I discovered one of our kittens had been flattened by a car... we did the burial thing in the back yard (full moon and everything). We get the grave dug, then he says, "wait" and runs back the house. Comes back a few minutes later with a bag of cat food, pulls out a handful, then lines the bottom of the hole with it...a priceless moment for us both...

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good thing little man wasn't looking at an ATM machine...

Seriously, you have a tough job to do, but honesty is the best... good luck...

Draft saved Draft deleted