1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Tarkanian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Feb 11, 2015.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP Tark. Was a big Runnin' Rebels fan back in the day. I grew up in Southern California, but one of the then-independent LA stations would run the UNLV games on tape-delay on Saturday night with Chick Hearn calling the action.

We almost had him at SDSU after he left UNLV -- the AD had all but hired him when Aztecs basketball was at its nadir, but the school president nixed it. It would been interesting to see what he would have done with the program, although the NCAA probably would have opened an office in San Diego if that had happened.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Tarkanian vs. NCAA was the legal version of Ali vs. Frazier."

Nice.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Smith. Tark.

If I am Norm Stewart, John Thompson, Louie C, Nolan Richardson, George Raveling or Bobby Cremins, I probably stay on the couch until this passes.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tarkanian was always a joy to talk to. Covered his Fresno State teams occasionally and his basketball mind was amazing. The SID at the time told us how he really enjoyed the interaction with the press.

RIP.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Talked to a a former Houston player a while back and unfortunately I think Guy Lewis is a strong candidate

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Raveling should be fine since every other guy you named could actually coach.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Not sure who the player is just like the shot.

[​IMG]

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Waiting for the editorial cartoons of the towel draped over an empty chair.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want to see Tornoe do one with Tark at the gate and both he and Peter are biting on a towel.

12. gators85

gators85 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted