1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Tarkanian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

For a work project, had a chance to write a bit about Tark's Long Beach State days. His 1971 team should have beaten UCLA in the tourney. Ed Ratleff got screwed on his fifth foul. It's at the 14:30 mark of this video.

1971 UCLA VS. Long Beach State - YouTube

Ratleff hasn't gotten over it, that's for sure, although he has some great stories about UCLA boosters from that game/era. But it was a blast going back to those days because the recruiting tales were just insane, and Tark was actually outgunned a few times when it came to gifts and benefits.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I was a HUGE Tark/UNLV fan. Loved watching them play and would see them often during their trips to SoCal to play the Titans, 49ers and Anteaters. Ahead of his time, especially when it came to saying F-you to the NCAA since everyone else now says F-you to the NCAA.

The 1990 title game remains one of the most relished sporting moments for me. As much as I'm still pained by the 1991 Final Four debacle.

RIP to a giant. The Strip should go dark tonight for a moment to mark his passing.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The story of him not becoming the Lakers coach is quite the tale too, MileHigh. Wonder if we'd be remembering five LA titles in the 80s.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I was so focused on it being 3 coaches I overlooked Ed Sabol as being part of the three famous sports world figures.

5. MileHigh

I love the photo in the L.A. Times obit by the always awesome Chris Dufresne just for the typewriter in the background that I and many others used back in the day to type out the play-by-play. Also won four state JC titles in California. And had a season at Redlands High School, one of my high school's main rivals, where the towel chomping began.

Jerry Tarkanian, Hall of Fame coach at UNLV, dies at 84 - LA Times

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's quite a group. All with significant contributions to my sports viewing pleasure in the past 50 years or so.

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A look at Tark's days in the IE

ALEXANDER: The Tarkanian story began right here:

8. MileHigh

Good stuff from Jim, including this nice pull that I had forgotten about:

Late arrivals stood outside the gym and listened to the game broadcasts on the old KPRO/1440, with current Clippers broadcaster Ralph Lawler calling the play-by-play.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Will the obits mention Richard "The Fixer" Perry (Smith/Wooden crossthread).

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The LA Times obit (linked above) did. It also mentioned Sam Gilbert.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Will the obits mention San Antonio?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The NCAA is so well-known for hypocrisy, but I don't think it has ever topped or will ever top the way it dealt with UNLV. The NCAA put the defending champs on probation in July 1990 and barred them from defending the title; then a few months later the sides reached a deal that UNLV could go for that undefeated season and dynasty-making championship, but they were going to be on probation the following year (when everybody would be gone anyway).

Got damn fine ratings against Duke, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted