1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Tarkanian

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how his obit is played. UNLV in its heyday was a hell of a story.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd guess 75 percent of fans, maybe more, now feel about the NCAA the way Tark has been telling us to feel since the 1970s.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Damn. Hell of an entertaining guy. I came really, really close to covering him.

RIP Tark.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I don't think teams like Mason, VCU and Wichita State make Final Four runs without UNLV becoming so good under Tark. Mid-majors would still be fighting for respectability if the Running Rebels didn't kick down that door a quarter-century ago.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He is an sj.com hero, for he originated the often-used Cleveland State joke.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Few things I wanted more as a teenager than for Long Beach State to beat his UNLV juggernauts. Rarely happened.

Tark's Runnin' Rebs are forever an icon of American sports.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Chewed that towel like a dog toy. RIP.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

With Smith going a few days ago and now this, there must be a pretty big game somewhere that needed coaches.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Rebel has stopped running. RIP. What a show in it's heyday. Always made it a point to catch game
    when I was in Vegas. Amazing. 1990 Championship game against Duke was the beatdown to beat all
    beatdowns. Rarely see a college team put 100 points.

I'll take that all day over the slow down iso dribble drive shit you get today

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

RIP Tark the Shark.
    Remember watching him on TV chewing that towel during tournament games.

Hate to be morbid, but they say things happen in threes. Which college coaching great is next?

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think Dean Smith, Ed Sabol, and Tark is enough for one week.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted