1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Remy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

maumann likes this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is very sad if not surprising news. Remy was an excellent announcer for many years. He was a pretty good second baseman, too.

lakefront likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Dad took us to a Stockton Ports game back in 1972 when they were an Angels affiliate in the Cal Loop. After the game, my brother went up to a player and asked him for the bat he broke in the ninth inning. It was Jerry Remy. I wonder if Duane still has that bat.

RIP to a man who loved the game, both as a player and announcer.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Really saddened to see this news - I wondered when this was going to happen. I think he missed three other times over the years when this lung cancer came about (he was a heavy smoker).

His banter with Don Orsillo, and then with Eckersley, made the Red Sox must-watch TV for me. I loved that late 70s/early 80s era of baseball, and those stories of playing during that time for my favorite team were gold. And of course there was the whole pizza-throwing incident during Patriots Day 2007, and falling off the chair doing air guitar … loved it.

My enduring memory of him was during the ‘78 playoff game. He led off the ninth with a hit off Gossage and then came around to score to make it 5-4. When he crossed home plate, he yelled to the batter on deck something (I think Burleson had the RBI? Memory is foggy on that) and it might have been Rice? Would have loved to have known what he said. What a great game that was. Knee injuries ultimately derailed his career.

RIP to a true Red Sox.

sgreenwell, Slacker and maumann like this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The way he said Pedroia's name ... Pedroyer.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Or Bogaerts (bo-gots)

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The “boob grab” video is one of my favorites. Remy couldn’t say a single word for two minutes, he was laughing so hard.

Splendid Splinter and matt_garth like this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I would watch Sox games on the MLB.TV package just to hear his voice because it reminded me of my dad and aunt and uncle.
    This is case study 1,784,458 that the worst thing about cancer is not that it arrives; it's that it keeps coming back.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted