1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Greene

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Enjoyed his work at Page 2 toward the end of his career. Hadn't known of him earlier.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Sad. Another one of the true good guys in the business.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wrote the best Sunday morning NFL predictions column ever. Among other things.

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I used to read the Sentinel every morning for Jerry and Bianchi. Liked Jerry a whole lot.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Jerry's Pro Picks column was hilarious and a wonder. It was my favorite thing in the paper for years. Nobody had fun with NFL picks like that.

Jerry was also mess. If he lived with Oscar Madison, Oscar would have kicked him out for being a slob.

But he never took himself seriously and had a sweet, mischievous tone.

Jerry could and would cover anything, and he'd always come back with a fun read. He was always looking for ways to get a laugh in the Sports section.

RIP

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

His Thanksgiving week football preview was always a highlight. Complete with Jerry in a turkey suit. I grew weary of Bianchi taking shots at his weight so often, but I always knew that a big part of Jerry's magic was that he was always willing to laugh at himself.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Always a refreshing antidote when capital-S Sports took itself too seriously. RIP.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Also an admirer of his NFL Picks. RIP.

10. LouGrant1995

LouGrant1995 New Member

He would probably be mocked by today's generation for not taking sports writing so seriously, which is exactly why I always enjoyed his work. Laughed many times at his NFL picks column. RIP Jerry Greene.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

FYI, saw on Facebook they are holding a service for him next week at the local Jai-Alai fronton. And the concession stands will be open. So very Jerry.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted