1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jerry Coleman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Jan 5, 2014.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/05/jerry-coleman-died-padres/

Former Yankee, 1949 Rookie of the Year and 1950 World Series MVP, World War II bomber pilot, and of course longtime Padres broadcaster (and one-year Padres manager).

Spent a lot of time listening to him during my years in San Diego, and, I'll be the first to say, not the best announcer (known more for his on-air statements that didn't come out quite right), but from everyone I ever heard talk or write about him, he was a first-class human being.

A day that was shaping up to be one of the best in San Diego sports history (with the Chargers, and then the Aztecs beating Kansas in basketball), this makes it a bit less celebratory.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"There's a fly ball, deep to right field! Winfield is going back, back, back, he hits his head against the wall! It's rolling away!"

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

RIP
    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quocole.shtml

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm sure there will be a few of those on this thread, YF. My favorite has always been "Rich Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen."

And for balance, a combined 137 missions flown combined between WWII and Korea, and one crash he survived. I salute you, sir!

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace.

My first memory of him... he was the "MGR." on my 1980 San Diego Padres Topps team card.

Ron Burgundy could deliver the eulogy.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sad news. Great guy who deserves to be remembered for so much more than malapropisms.

[​IMG]

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I didn't know anything at all about his military career. Two Distinguished Flying Crosses? Damn. RIP.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Musical tribute from Tim Flannery, ex-Pads and now-Giants coach:

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nice job by Bill Center:

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan/05/padres-mlb-coleman-remembered/

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

"(Dave) Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

Damn... RIP, Mr. Coleman.

Draft saved Draft deleted