1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Jerome Bettis' father

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I shouldn't respond to trolls and idiots, but you do know that Bettis was from Detroit and that his parents still lived in the area, right?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, because the AP wire picks and chooses where it sends each story depending on what it's about.

You get all kinds of stories on the wire every day. I have no problem if a story runs on the wire about the passing of Mr. Bettis' fathers passing. I'm sure it will be of use to someone, just like Major League Lacrosse reports are useful to someone. Not everything that runs on the wire has to be national or world-level news.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Jerome Bettis is from Detroit? You don't say!

Two years ago, AP ran a three-inch obit on Tom Brady's 90-something-year-old grandmother passing away in season. That was the height of redonkulous.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Then ignore it. These aren't the teletype days where an unnecessary story is blocking transmission of something more important.

The AP moves a lot of obits of limited interest, like every former news editor of the Podunk Press (long-time AP client) who dies at age 96. WTF?

Bettis was just in the headlines in February for the Super Bowl and his parents had something of a profile since they were often shown at his games. They also hosted a dinner for the Steelers during Super Bowl week, which I'm sure got covered in the media blitz. He's still in the public eye for his work for NBC, and some viewers will probably notice his absence this weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted