1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jennings Culley

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Won't mean much to most as he's been retired so long - but he was my first professional boss. Gave me my first internship, my first full-time job, my first column. Would not be anywhere close to where I am without him. Mr. Culley tolerated a young punk who thought he knew it all, made him realize he did not know it all and helped him learn what he needed to learn.

Another guy on our staff lost his mom last week. Mr. Culley knew the family well as the staffer's dad was also at the paper. My old colleague talked to Mr. Culley early Friday night. And he was gone by midnight.

Savor every second.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Between Mr. Culley and Bill Millsaps, Richmond was served by two very able and talented men when it was still a two-newspaper city.

They had another guy writing sports in those days who was also very capable. Jerry Lindquist. ;D

Just kidding, Moddy. Nice comments and thanks for the update. I didn't read the RNL as much as the TD (since I delivered the T-D), but he was an excellent writer and columnist.
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very saddened to hear of his passing. I, like many others, called him Jugs and it was definitely a nickname filled with respect. He created an aggressive sports staff and they don't make SE's like this any more. You youngsters who think you know it all, read a few of his columns. He was versatile and authoritative. He had skills that that many sports columnists in this "now" generation lack. RIP to a true legend of this industry.
  4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Sorry for your loss, Moddy.

5. NNDman

NNDman Member

I grew up reading Jennings Culley's columns in the News Leader. An excellent writer and his newspaper was outstanding in its game coverage of prep football in the Richmond area under his leadership. Paul Wood wrote a nice piece on Mr. Culley and I really liked his line about a compliment from Mr. Culley being better than a raise.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The column:
  7. Drip

Drip Active Member

You beat me to it Moddy. Excellent piece by Paul Woody, one of the good guys in this screwed up industry.
  8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed reading his post retirement columns on Sunday mornings. The only thing I can speak to is the quality of those columns, and on that front, Woody nailed it.
Draft saved Draft deleted