1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jefferson Pilot telecasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But as oneused to be more, but now occasional columnist at my local paper likes to say: "Remember, back when they won those 227 championships, they all meant SOMETHING."

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I swear, every Bama game I watched during the 1990s they seemed to get at least one favorable call per game in a crucial spot. A pass interference call, a holding penalty on a long run, an overturned fumble, something. The last couple years it hasn't been as bad, but for a while it was just shameful.

On another note, that '99 LSU-Bama game was one of several JP train wrecks for LSU that season. They also had the Georgia game (score a TD on the last play to get within a point, then some linebacker jumps 15 feet in the air to block the two-point conversion pass), and a no-show against Kentucky. In fact, I just looked it up and until the Blugrass Miracle game in 2002, they were 2-9-1 in the previous 10 years on JP.
    Early starts, lack of sleep, shitty nightlife afterward, sunburn, bad football...I hope the JP game rots in hell.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Hey, look, after that unbelievable non-call on the pass interference in the end zone during the UA-LSU game two years ago, no LSU fan can talk about the favortism by refs.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And while I'm ranting...is there a school that DOESN'T claim some national title from 1930 or something? I think if Joe Cattlerancher thought Wyoming was the best team in the land in 1946, and wrote a letter to the editor saying so, that was considered a national title at one time or another. I  know Ole Miss claims four or five national titles. One is AP, which is legit. The others are the Colonel Reb Gazette, Southern Living and Better Homes and Gardens, or some such.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Um, this is the SECOND year of college football instant replay.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Actually Ole Miss never has won an AP national title.

Or UPI, for that matter. We know they haven't had a sniff of the ESPN/USA Today/coaches/Spurrier votes Duke No. 25 poll.

Here are the Rebels' claims to national titles:

1959 — Berryman, Billingsley, Dunkel, Sagarin

1960 — Football Writers, Devold, Dunkel, Football Research, National Championship Foundation, Williamson

1962 — Litkenhous

I thought I had a neighbor named Mr. Litkenhous.

We always used to goof on the Dunkel Index back in the day, when the crusty prep guy used it to make his college picks. (When I say crusty, I mean it. Dude got busted eatin' vienna sausages ... and drinkin' the water ... in the newsroom.)

To me the most 'legit' is Football Writers, but that's debatable.

Rebs went 10-0-1 that year and beat Rice 14-6 in ithe Sugar Bowl. The tie was with LSU in Oxford.

AP's national champion was Minnesota. Likewise, UPI's.

The '62 Ole Miss team went 10-0 and outscored their opponents 230-40. Southern Cal was the choice for AP and UPI.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's what I get for not walking 10 steps and leafing through the Ole Miss media guide.

I thought one of the titles (1959 would've been my guess) was an AP title. :-[

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Um, okay, is it just me or did instant replay show everyone what a buffoon Gaston and his minions are?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Which gives UK about 100,000 more followers than Duke football. :D

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

11:30? We get started with kickoffs at 11:05! Who in their right minds would kickoff at 11:30?!?!?!?! Division II?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

PROGRAM NOTE: That game is on Turner South right now -- 10 minutes to play and Kentucky just scored to pull within a touchdown

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

It's been on about four times a week for the past two months. Never gets old.

Draft saved Draft deleted