1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jefferson Pilot telecasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's even worse than JP is some of those ESPN GamePlan early season matchups from the Big Ten where some Michigan directional or a school like Houston is getting squashed by Michigan or Wisconsin.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Northern Illinois at Ohio State in the season opener. Get your tickets now.

3. dog428

dog428 Active Member

And those start at 11 a.m. CST. But still, the production is ESPN, which sets those games worlds apart from the JP crapfest.

One of my all-time favorite lines from my college days came from one of my roommates: "Shit. 11:30. It's tough to get up and be drunk by 11:30."

4. Superman

Superman Guest

JP Sports: Because nobody would be crazy enough to buy a Bama/Louisiana-Monroe pay-per-view.

I was in the MDB at Bama years ago and hated the JP games. Meant an 11 a.m. game which meant getting up at the asscrack of dawn for practice and the rally at the Quad before heading to BD.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I have zero sympathy for band members. You know what you're getting into when you do it.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I bet that one's close for a quarter and a half.

7. Superman

Superman Guest

Oh, it wan't too bad. We got cash for booze meals for every game. Shit, I got $500 cash when we went to Miami for a bowl game. We paid no expenses and only had to give about an hour of our time every day for practice. Not too bad (except the 11 a.m. games).

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Living in Big 12 country as I do now, I miss the cheesy goodness of J-P.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

So is the production staying the same just with a new name? Great, great column, just missing a nut graph in the beginning.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

At one time, Jefferson Pilot was synonomous with pre-expansion ACC basketball, with Jim Thacker and Billy Packer. They were an outstanding broadcast team, back before Packer got an ego the size of the Smith Center (and that's an insult to a Wake guy).

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Could've sworn it was JP. They seemed to do BC football games all the time, especially games against the likes of Temple and Rutgers.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I do.

Draft saved Draft deleted