1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jeff Healey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Heard the news this morning and my heart felt heavy. I can recall sneaking into a Super SUB party at university when I was in senior year of high school. Healey was playing the cafeteria. My partner in crime wanted to stay upstairs for some punk band but I was entranced by the way 'that blind guy' danced his hands on that guitar.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Next of Kin is indeed a great movie -- the best is the one cousin who comes to the city in a bus full of snakes.......

However, you might as well throw Patrick Swayze's best movie "Dirty Dancing" (well not really...."Nobody puts Baby in the corner.....") simply because you get to hear his one-hit wonder "She's like the Wind", which isn't a half-bad song given the era it is from.....

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I actually saw Dirty Dancing in the theater with my mother. Maybe I shouldn't be confessing that.

After Deliverance and Next of Kin, there really needs to be a movie made that is a little more sensitive toward the ethos of the Great American Mountain Man.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's been a while since the death of a musician has made me feel a little dusty.

RIP.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Very sad news. I actually own two of his CDs and had no idea he had anything to do with Roadhouse.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Solid guitarist who was heavy on the blues. I remember getting one of his CDs asa promotional thing when I worked on the school paper.

Sad news. I'm sure one of his many friends in the biz, Walter Trout, another damn fine guitarist who has played with John Mayall and Canned Heat and others will surely do something in his honor. Healey played a track on Trout's most recent "Full Circle" CD. I attended a Trout concert last year, in June, and he talked about Healey and that he was dealing with health problems. Trout said he hoped they'd be able to record some stuff together in the future. I hope they were able to do something.

RIP and my sympathies go out to his wife and family.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't believe that obit had no love for his role in Road House. And you guys have forgotten Healy's best line"

"Yeah, and I thought you'd be bigger."

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Healey apparently does have a new album slated to be released on April 22 called "Mess of Blues"

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Road House Riff Trax:

The only thing missing from this Irish wake of a thread for the departed Jeff Healey is a cracked bottle of Evan Williams from the Double Deuce.

Draft saved Draft deleted