1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jeff Healey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Ah, a slight return.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I liked it when the goon said "I used to fuck guys like you in prison."
    As if he's proud of it.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Straight to DVD. No Swayze, no Doc, no gazelle-pelt-hanging, Sh-boom-Shboom-singing, mailbox-destroying bad guy.

In other words, none of the magic.

I recommend the Swayze redneck trilogy one rainy afternoon, with plenty of bad beer, and a will to be weird, in any random sequence: (1) Road House; (2) Next of Kin and (3) Point Break. Smoking a little of the funny stuff probably wouldn't hurt either. You know Patrick would want it that way.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But the sequel did have Jake Busey as the bad guy.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

pssst. 1988.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. It's a shame I didn't know more about him than "Angel Eyes."

RIP.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

pssst pssst. 1989.

Angel Eyes debuted in the Hot 100 on 6/17/89 and peaked at No. 5. His only chart single.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"Toronto - The Canadian blues singer and guitarist, Jeff Healey, has died in a hospital in Toronto. He was 41 and had been suffering from cancer in his legs and lungs for several years.

Jeff Healey, who was blind from the time he was one year old, made his debut in 1988 with the album See the Light. He lost his sight when a tumour led to the amputation of his eyes.

He had a unique method of playing: he sat on a chair with the guitar lying flat on his lap. During his career, Mr Healey also played with such musicians as B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughn and George Harrison."

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/5666939/Blues-singer-Jeff-Healey-dead

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Voodoo Chile slight return... ah, the puns are flying fast and furious around here.

Well this just sucks. Angel Eyes was a terrific song and like the majority on here, I had no idea he was only 41. Damn.

RIP.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Healey used to play around my neck of the woods a lot in the mid-to-late 80s and I interviewed him once for a small music mag I wrote for. Good guy. Tremendous guitarist - particularly live - but I was never a fan of his voice and his originals were never as strong as the covers he did. I found some of the traditional jazz stuff he did far more interesting.

RIP....they'll be pounding them back at Healey's tonight.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The best line in Road House is Dalton's "nobody ever wins a fight".

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Has anybody else here ever asked a bouncer if they are nice until it's time to not be nice?

Count me in with those surprised how young he was. I didn't know anything of him other than Angel Eyes and Road House, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted