1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jeff Blatnick

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by holy bull, Oct 24, 2012.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Did he talk about Karelin and Gardner? Would've liked to hear his thoughts. Looking back, maybe because of how out of shape Gardner got just a few years after the win, it seems more amazing than it did at the time.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

55? God, life is so short and fleeting, and so precious.

RIP.

3. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Blatnick is actually the guy who is credited with popularizing the use of the term Mixed Martial Arts. Dave Meltzer, who was a good friend of Jeff's, wrote a nice piece about him.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/10/24/3550680/whenever-you-hear-the-term-mixed-martial-arts-you-jeff-blatnick

4. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

RIP to a great Olympian, commentator and one of the men who helped make the sport of mixed martial arts what it is today.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It was more about him, his struggle with cancer and the gold. I remember being stunned that they only gave me 22 inches to write the story. It was one of the cooler assignments I had early in my career, because we targeted a shitload of Olympic heroes and then cast a wide net to see who we could get and then another writer and I were sent out on a few trips. I was the No. 2 writer on the series and I had Blatnick, Eruzione, the Mahre Brothers, Mia Hamm, Teresa Edwards and a few others. The lead writer got Carl Lewis and Mark Spitz and a few others. I remember we got most of the big names we targeted, but we could not get Bruce Jenner.

Of the profiles I did, Blatnick was my favorite, in part because I knew nothing about him going in and he just came across as so genuine.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You got the better end of that deal, in my opinion...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Interviewed Jenner once. He was pleasant but reminded me of being like Rick Barry.

Draft saved Draft deleted