1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jean Stapleton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Jun 1, 2013.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Archie's getting his own beer now, I guess ...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/la-et-st-jean-stapleton-dies-at-90-20130601,0,5429067.story

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

RIP you dingbat you

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP to someone who lived a long, full life and gave us a wonderful character.

And in the "you learn something new every day" dept., I did not know she was the mother of John Putch, a character actor I saw in plenty of movies and TV shows, most notably as the nerdy friend, wannabe boyfriend of Barbara Cooper in "One Day at a Time."

4. Abe Vigoda

Abe Vigoda Member

Edith is finally stifled. Turns out it sucks.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, now she's getting Archie's beer, since Carroll O'Connor is also deceased ...

She appeared in "You've Got Mail" and didn't look a day older than she did 20 years earlier in AITF.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

She played Edith Bunker pitch perfect. You really couldn't think of anyone else who could pull that off like she could.

RIP.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

RIP.

And ...

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP. The episode where Edith was about to be raped was incredible, thanks to her.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Perfect woman for the perfect role. There will never be another one like Edith Bunker.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Best episode of anything ever. Probably the only time I've ever jumped up and cheered at a sitcom plot twist.

11. I honestly believe there's never been two better characters in the history of television comedy than Edith and Archie, and that's a tribute to the two actors. RIP, Jean.

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

This is losing an aunt. But it choked me up to lose Uncle Archie.

Draft saved Draft deleted