1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP JCPENNEY'S

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, May 15, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Brick and mortars are having a rough go. Sears, Toys-R-Us and now this.

Covid likely ended the suffering but have to imagine this was coming.

JCPenney files bankruptcy - CNN

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

JC Penny had been on life support for the last couple of years. They closed the one in my town a while back. I know there is still one in the area as an anchor store at the only mall left in the region, but if I've stepped in the place in the last four years or so, I don't remember it.

Mngwa likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think I've been in a Penney's for 25 years if not longer. Sears I went to until the one in the nearest mall closed a few years back, but not Penney's.

5. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

The one in our town always had a huge selection of Levi's, and since I'm an uncommon size, I would go there every other year when I needed a new pair.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My first job, outside a paper route, was at 15, I worked at Hahn's Shoe Store in Montgomery (Md.) Mall as a stockboy. Over the summer I worked fulltime a couple months. We'd go to JC Penney at lunch, after eating, and watch TVs in their Lazy-Boys. Sears ran us off. JC Penney let us loiter. I worked at Sears my senior year of HS, in the spring, part time, in the paint department. Boxes of paint weighed 25 lbs. So it was good for liftin' and stuff.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Guess there won’t be any more sales.

HanSenSE likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

JCrew and Nieman Marcus too

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

When I was a a kid in the 70s, JCPenney was the only store that sold Levi’s, so we would trek to a store a couple communities away to get a few pairs each summer.

Bill Stoneman’s mom worked in the shoe department and displayed a picture of him in his Expos uniform. That was really cool for a 12-year-old.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sears having a rough go? LOL Shit, the CEO's been draining every buck from that corpse for years.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No brick and mortars in general by evidence of places like Sears...

Draft saved Draft deleted