1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jared Lorenzen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tommy was the first person I thought of when I first read the news.

RIP, Jared. Keep fighting the good fight, Tommy.

Smallpotatoes and FileNotFound like this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

God damn, Tomlinson is so fucking good.

5. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, please do yourself a favor and pick up Tommy's "The Elephant in the Room."

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Got to see him in 2004 at Florida. He was a joy to watch on the field even before his weight made his talent seem impossible.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

As an overweight guy who binge eats, binge eating is a piss-poor way to go.

I am completely sympathetic to this guy, I'm not condemning him (...and ok, maybe I'm projecting a little bit.) At the same time, so young and such a ridiculous way to step out.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Wow. I knew about his issues and shouldn’t be surprised, but wow.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I would love to see/suggest a sort of personal follow-up to Lorenzen's death by Tomlinson, giving the latter's thoughts on the former, especially in light of and in connection with Tomlinson's own weight struggles and whatever updated progress (or lack thereof) has been going on in his case.

Weight loss is so hard to do and to maintain, and I have actually thought of Tomlinson several times in recent months, wondering how he's doing, since I read his book.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FWIW:

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The best line in that story, at least with regard to weight loss, is this: But it's like football. You can't just know the plays. You have to execute.

So, so true, and so difficult.

Smallpotatoes and wicked like this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My wife is morbidly obese. She needs a total knee replacement in both legs, and the surgeons wouldn't touch her with her BMI as high as it was. The thing is that her knees, the left in particular, are so bad that it is virtually impossible for her to exercise. She's down from 306 to about 245 and still needs to take off another 15 to 20 pounds minimum to make the surgeon happy. She's done it by cutting out 90% of her carbs and eating high protein, fresh veg and fruit. At least one, sometimes two of her "meals" are some variety of a nutritional/protein drink, and she drinks a couple of gallons of water a day. She's done it largely on sheer willpower, because she *has* to get her knees done. They hurt her so badly that the surgery is simply a must, so she's doing what is required.

She took a spill last night when her left knee collapsed when she was standing up from a recliner. Doc may just have to suck it up and deal with the extra fifteen pounds.

She's executed like a boss, bless her.

Scout, BTExpress, JackReacher and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted