1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Kim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Weather Channel is reporting that the AP is reporting that James Kim (the guy who got lost with his family in a snowstorm around Thanksgiving) was found dead. 21 has the link to the AP story below.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: RIP James Kim?

I was just flipping through the channels and heard Fenian's favorite harpy say that as well.

3. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

This is really sad. More so because it could have been prevented at so many points.

It seems the Southern Oregon Coastal Range claims a couple of people each year who just don't understand what they're getting into.

These are mountains that get a ton of snow in a hurry. All the rain that falls on Portland and Eugene is snow up there. Also, there aren't many good routes through them in the summer, much less this time of year.

Some tips for people crossing any mountains in the winter:

1. The quickest route is not always the best route.
    It has been suggested that this family planned its route using Google Maps which told them to take Forest Service roads that are barely passable in the summer. If you're not familiar with the area, check with locals.

2. Bring food, water and survival supplies.
    In addition to tire chains (even in my 4-wheel drive), I carry sand, driveway deicer, a small propane survival heater (with matches and a lighter), several 16-oz. bottles of water and enough food for two normal days (I could make it last longer if needed), a charged-up cell phone and a more than half-full tank of gas, boots, a winter coat, hat and gloves.

3. If things go bad, stay with the car.
    First off, it's your best option for shelter. Second, it's much easier for searchers to spot a six-foot by 10-foot rectangle on a road from the air than it is to find a one-foot by two-foot person walking through the woods. Lastly, there's wildlife out there that could only add to your problems.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Damn, damn shame.

RIP James

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nice tips.

7. Re: RIP James Kim?

Exactly what we used to tell auto-tourists during my days as a ranger in a much smaller forest.
    People LIVE in cars. Cars can keep you safer than your old Webelos skills can.
    RIP to this poor guy, and prayers for the rest of them.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yessir.

Just terrible.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

staying in your car is the best idea but it's easy to imagine sitting in your car for 2-3 days and deciding that since no one has found you yet, you've got to move somewhere else. sad to think he died seeking help for his wife and kids. i wonder what goes through your mind at the end?

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I wonder what's going through the mind of the wife. Did she blame him -- to his face -- when they were first lost? Did she force him to go get help? Was he one of those overly educated-types who thought he could think his way out of this problem, especially since he apparently thought his way into it?

What a torment.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

I wonder if they had a GPS in the car?
    This guy worked for CNET, so as a tech guy, you'd hope he'd have a GPS.
    Of course, if the car is stuck in the snow, it doesn't do any good, but then, he could have used it to figure out exactly where he was.
    Figure no cell coverage either.
    Very sad story. His poor family, I feel for them.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As somebody who spends quite a bit of time in the outdoors, I'm amazed at the number of miles he traveled with no gear. Shows what you can do when your loved ones are in trouble.

Draft saved Draft deleted