1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Ingram

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I loved his voice and his style of music. Just Once is a simply fantastic song. In a lesser talent, many of his songs would have been schmaltzy, but he made them great.

Funny thing — when I was young, I thought that he sounded like a white Michael McDonald — it was a simpler time.

Slacker likes this.
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Insert "Ya Mo B There" joke since Michael McDonald and James Ingram have been grouped together ...

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly. And that was not a good song.

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It wasn't the music I listened to, but he was ubiquitous and he had a really beautiful voice. I agree with you. Just Once is one of those songs that just makes you feel really good. I am not sure I could listen to it on a steady diet, but if I hear it every once in a while, I find myself really stopping and listening.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

This is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Just Once. Brutal.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was the most brutal movie ending EVER. IMHO.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I totally forgot that was the song while that scene went down. Seeing it brought me right back to the 1980s. I first saw that movie when I was 14. I still was cringing watching that scene just now. Just brutal.

I will contend that as hard as that is to watch, that movie was a great public service announcement for dorky guys like me . I didn't go through life with any illusions. I knew that women only exist to tear our hearts out and stomp all over them.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ingram appeared on SCTV in 1981, sang Just Once, and was in the 3D House of Beef sketch.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, perfect song for the ending of a really underrated '80s movie.

The story led you down this path and you thought it would end on a cliché note and then pow, a punch to the balls, tears flowing, fade to black.

qtlaw likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The stupid idiot sold his stereo. NEVER SELL YOUR STEREO!!!

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather watch Schindler's List with a laugh track than watch that scene from that movie ever again.

Songbird likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted