1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Tatum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

61 years old. Put the hit on Darryl Stingley that left Stingley a quadraplegic in 1978.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/osufootball/stories/2010/07/27/story-ohio-state-football-jack-tatum-death.html

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

RIP, Assassin.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Wow. Way too young. RIP.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An all-time Raider. Hard to believe he only played for nine years. Seeing that photo of the Sammy White hit reminded me how small he was. I was at the Stingley game as a kid, there are probably at least 10 worse looking hits every week in the NFL. I never got the impression that Tatum "enjoyed" his rep, but figured at his size he needed every edge he could get.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Oh wow. I'm an Oakland native and this is a sad day.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And a great Buckeye.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

He played HS football at the town across the river from us, rivals back in the day.

Even as a little kid I heard people talking about him and having to play against him.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

RIP

The guy could hit. He had the 3 hardest hits I've even watched on Earl Cambell/ Sammy White/ Rob Lyttle

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Don't forget hit on Riley Odoms huge Bronco tight end. Tatum laid him out. Knocking out Earl Campbell is a feat in itself.

A lot of what Tatum did would be illegal today, but that doesn't make him a dirty player. That was how the NFL was played then.

10. McCrank

McCrank Member

Good riddance.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Classy, McCrank.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Listen to Boston radio this afternoon. They had Steve Grogan on, and he basically said he couldn't say anything nice about Tatum, given the way he acted following the Stingley hit (i.e., not reaching out to Stingley until he had a book to sell).

Draft saved Draft deleted