1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I do not think he would have ever been PM. I do not think that the country would ever fully come to the NDP. Outside of PQ did he really make significant gains? You can also argue that the vote for the NDP in PQ was more about a protest vote against the BQ and the lack of a stirring Federalist leader that appealled to Quebeckers.

As noted, I phrased poorly and obviously the best thing for someone is to not die. However in terms of his leagacy I think he was at the absolute zenith of his popularity and never got the chance to disappoint his followers.

His memeory is etched in his fans and others as someone who wanted to do good, not just another politician. He never had to govern, never had to be an executive of anything other than the party so I do not believe he would have exceeded in power or popularity the place he held when he died.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Which smells like the World's Biggest Cheeseburger Fart!

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, that made me laugh.

As we used to say, "Inches from actual English" .

4. Iron_chet

It is grammitcally correct and you apparently know what I mean. Kudos to you on being able to make a post without the guttermouth.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Too funny for words

You're the gift that just keeps on giving: grammitcally

Is English your THIRD language?

6. Iron_chet

Left it there just for you pottymouth.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are offended by swearing Chet? Now who has soft sensibilities?

8. Iron_chet

Don't hurt yourself stretching JC. Nowhere have I said I was offended by swearing. I was surprised that it would be so casually tossed around in calling someone names which I though was against forum rules.

Have a pleasant day.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then go cry to a moderator.

10. Iron_chet

Why would I cry to a moderator? Some choose to engage in vulgarities and name calling. Unlike others I don't appoint myself as board moderator of what is appropriate.

Have a nice day.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

At the risk of getting chewed up in this debate, I think I understand what Iron Chet is trying to say.

A close family member died in a similar manner to Layton. She thought she'd beaten cancer, only to have it return even more vengefully and kill her. It was a cruel fate for Layton, because it came as he reached his greatest heights of popularity.

It's funny Bob Rae's name came up in this thread, because he probably did more than anyone to damage the NDP in Canada. He did such an awful job as Ontario's premier that it scared voters across the country. If it wasn't for Rae, Mike Harris and his "Common Sense Revolution" may never have happened. (To be fair, Mike Harcourt shares some of the blame because the New Democrats were just as bad in BC.)

Mulroney's mistakes got the Conservatives crushed to three seats in 1993, but people forgot the NDP got just nine. By 2006, when Harper won his minority government, the NDP had less than 30 in the House. Layton had been leader for four years already. In fact, in 2004, he predicted 40 seats and got less than half of that. And, he was 0-3 in federal election campaigns before he won the NDP leadership.

Layton's strength was that he gave voice to a lot of people who really didn't have one, but I do agree with Chet in the sense that his impact probably wasn't as great until the recent election. He made a brilliant strategical decision to go hard at BQ voters, and it paid off. (Although, I really do think he put some incredibly unqualified people there.) The election breakthrough finally gave him a serious platform. It's sad that we'll never see what he could have done with it. His death came at the time in his life where he was most relevant.

Also, Layton had a bad won-loss record

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That is an intelligent take on it, unlike Chet's. Like I said, I didn't even vote for Layton but I respect the hell out of him.

Harcourt gets a bad rap in BC, he was very good man.

Draft saved Draft deleted