1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that. I stated earlier I had no use for Layton's politics, either municipally or federally (or his penchant for living in subsidized housing, or his grandstanding at Gretzky's restaurant during the Canada-USA hockey final in Vancouver), but certainly didn't hate him.

I am sure JR had no use for Mike Harris when he was conservative premier of Ontario - same as I had no use for Bob Rae when he was stumbling through the same job as leader of the NDP - but there are no politicians up here who garner the same reaction as some of the more prominent ones on both sides of the aisle down there.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just for the record, Layton's housing wasn't subsidized. Social housing in Ontario is designed to have some units for people who qualify for subsidy and some units where residents pay Market Rent. This helps defray costs and hopefully keeps the poor from being ghettoized.

Whatever anyone thinks of his politics, Jack Layton put his money where his mouth was.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I prefer my version of it! :)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I can't think of another politician I disliked more than Mike Harris although Rob Ford is running a close second. And I agree that Rae was way over his head as Premier but at least he didn't do permanent damage to the province the way Harris' government did. Not to mention their contempt for Toronto.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As has been echoed many times already the acrimony and demonization that is more prevalent in US politics was not as widespread here.

Layton came from a political family so he also had relationships that would help keep a lot of the real nastiness away. His father was a cabinet minister in the office of the greatest PM in Canadian history (Hi JR), Progressive Conservative, Brian Mulroney. Apparently Mulroney called him to congratulate him on his electoral success.

Keep in mind that there is probably no US equivalent of Layton (maybe Kucinich?). Obama would be a Conservative or Liberal up here.

6. Iron_chet

Apples and Melons. You sure do swear a lot and call people names. I thought residents of "Toronto the Good" were better than such tactics.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Off topic, but you really think Mulroney was a great PM?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's not even in the top five.

Mr. "Good Thing Layton Died" is either trying to be funny or truly believes it. Can't figure out which is worse.

Mulroney pretty much wrecked the Progressive Conservative Party but his worse sin in the eyes of a lot of Canadians was he had his head too far up Reagan's ass.

9. Iron_chet

I think he was a very good PM. In retrospect a lot of the things he championed ended up being good for the country. I would rather that a PM try to do what they believe is good for the country than just slide along content to be in power.

We all know the greatest ever was John Turner. Trudeau finished out of the top 10.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Again I ask Chet, how are you so sure that Layton's legacy wouldn't have been ruined? How do you know that him dying is the best thing that could have happened to him and his party? Nobody would have thought the NDP would ever be the official opposition but you are absolutely sure that dying was the best thing for Layton.

Read the bolded section and tell us those thoughts aren't disgusting.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

He was born in Hamilton. :D

12. Iron_chet

Nice, probably on the wrong side of the "mountain" as well :)

Draft saved Draft deleted