1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think that although they were husband and wife, "partner" better describes their relationship. I don't think it's about political correctness but about accuracy. But yeah, a little odd. The

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Not really. People like you dying off would have been much better - politically-speaking, of course.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Nice work JR, the melon must be squeezing even more of the intellect out of your brain.

Tell me then what you think Layton would have accomplished? I think he was at the apex of his career and it was only down hill from there. Now with his untimely death and so many sucking at the teat of the idea of what a great man he was, his legacy will not be tarnished.

JC and Gomer, same question.

The fact was he saw his funeral as a political event and Blatchford ended up being quite correct.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Might have been a personal preference thing - he was a big supporter of gay rights and some of the clips shown in the coverage used the same term to refer to his kids' spouses.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You're a fucking clown. I didn't even vote for Layton but the cheap politics you are playing are disgraceful.

How in the hell do you know what Layton would have done? If you had been told 2 years ago that the NDP would have been the official opposition you would have thought people were crazy, now you're Kreskin and are convinced Layton's legacy would have been ruined. Nice time to play politics Chet, you're a class act.

6. Iron_chet

How's the air on your high horse JC. Layton played politics at his own funeral. I did not realize that the soft sensibilities of the mighty JC would be offended by commenting on his legacy weeks after his death.

I don't really "play politics" as you put it and I am not even really sure what you mean to be perfectly honest.

Have a nice day.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's not enough that you made a reprehensible commentabout Layton's death but now you don't even have the decency to STFU about it. You're not only classless but clueless.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Did Conservatives in Canada hate Layton? I didn't get that feeling the acrimony was the same as Republicans have toward Obama.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

A friend of mine interned in with the Conservative Party a few years back and talking to her about Canadian politics in general, I think their perception was that Layton was loony, but not a threat. It's Chretien and the Liberals they truly hated.

10. Iron_chet

REPREHENSIBLE!!!

I will send you a crying towel.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know anybody in any party who would describe Layton as loony.

And the Conservatives disliked Chretien and the Liberals because until Harper showed up, they had no clue how to beat them in federal elections.

And for the most part, there is no Canadian comparable to the animosity that exists in US politics.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted