1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Lang

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can you T me up for what I'm thinking?
    No.
    Good, because I think you fucking suck!

Great Coach V. story. Point is, what is thought and what is said is often two different things.

Casty, class guy that he is, would have said Mr. Fucker.

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Okay, Mr. Moddy, you're right.

3. boots

boots New Member

Hey Moddy, you know we pick no wars with you. Maybe my memory is slipping at my old age. At any rate, I agree 100 percent and then some, Cass is class. But he did give that jerk Kent a piece of his mind. That part of the memory is correct.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No disrespect to Jack, but if you write for 40 years, don't you want to be known for more than placing calls to Hall of Fame winners?

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, that's a pretty good gig to be remembered for, no? not many bums get to that position.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Uh, who said anything about picking wars? I was just pointing out that Casty is a classy guy who would never address anyone as "Fucker." I was praising Casty, not trying to start a war.
    Yeesh.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Again, no disrespect to Jack, but that particular gig is basically a function of your standing within the hierarchy of the NY BBWAA chapter, which numbers Norm MacLean among its members.

All I'm saying is after that many years in the business, I'd want to be remembered for something I wrote rather than being the guy who called the new HOF members. The obits I've seen have pretty much centered around the latter.

8. boots

boots New Member

Jack lived a good and full life Smasher. Many would have been happy just to have done a quarter of what he did. Was he rich, maybe not monetarily, but he had a character that will be missed. As Casty and others who have been around will attest, Jack could rub you the wrong way at times, but you always found a way to continue to have a conversation with him. It's not so bad being known as the guy who called Hall of Famers. Hell, the players enjoyed talking to him and that was his niche.
    And Moddy, I should've put the font sign on. I know you didn't mean any harm. Peace and love.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

didn't know this was a thread about casty. i thought it was more about a great sports writing gentleman's death. i've known several folks who worked with this great man, although i never had the opportunity, who say nothing but wonderful things about him.

why is the conversation about someone uttering the fuck word? classy.

10. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Mr. Petty, I assure you I didn't make this a thread about me. That was done by others. But thank you for bringing it back where it belongs. The wake was held yesterday and will be today also with the funeral set for tomorrow (Mon.). To the folks that attended, it was a time for memories and laughter at those memories, while, obviously, dealing with the sadness of the hour for Jack's kids.

It is interesting to note that the NY Baseball Writer's dinner will be held tonight, the dinner Mr. Lang planned and put together for 50 years. A proper tribute will be held for Jack tonight, I am sure.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

casty - it's all good man.

i just have a deep respect for lang although i never met the man. i'm longtime friends with a guy in the biz whose family was good friends with lang. the guy i know pretty darned well was young at the time, but he and his family were invited to cooperstown for his ceremony.

dude can't say enough about lang as a human being.

again, it's all good.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

lovely remembrance of jack by steven marcus on newsday's web site now, with unfortunate head referring to late baseball writer "Al Lang." :eek: :eek: :eek:

EDIT: fixed on newsday's site at 11:30 p.m. 8) 8) 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted