1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Lang

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Deftly put, Mr. Casty.

2. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Actually, most any call from Jack Lang was good to get, even if it had nothing to do with Cooperstown. He always had a story to tell.

3. boots

boots New Member

Jack Lang was a good guy. Funny and at the same time very serious. He made baseball fun. And anyone who has been around him will attest, the man could eat with the best of them. A fun time was whenever Jack, Casty and Vin Scully would get together for one of those good ol boy days at the Shea Stadium dining hall while Shake Down Johnny was manning the soda fountain.
    Ah.... those were the days. The youngsters know NOTHING ABOUT THAT!

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Is it true that Shake Down retired and moved away?

5. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

meet ronnie blum.

6. boots

boots New Member

I know this is about Jack but is The Count still alive?

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

No, boots, sorry to say that Joe Durso died of cancer about three years ago.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Another of the guys I looked up to back when, along with Jim Ogle, the Kleins, Casty, etc.

9. boots

boots New Member

Wow. He was a really nice guy. Hey Casty, I'll always remember the line you told Jeff Kent. "Fucker, I was here when you came up. And I'll be here when you're released!"

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I cannot imagine Casty saying "Fucker" to someone as a lead-in to any statement. Casty has way more class than that. The rest of it I can believe.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Moddy, I don't remember saying it, though I'm sure I thought it. Maybe boots read my mind.

12. boots

boots New Member

Actually, when I heard the story it was Casty holding court in Shea Stadium dining room. I thought I heard Fucker but could be mistaken. At any rate, he told that prick Kent where to get off. Dan is great people.l If you pissed him off, then you pissed off a great ally.

Draft saved Draft deleted