1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Lang

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jan 25, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Long time baseball writer and executive secretary of the BBWAA Jack Lang passed away overnight at the age of 85.

A lot of you will remember him differently because he was sometimes a difficult man to befriend. But, while he could be a royal pain in the ass at times, I covered the Mets with him for 15 or more years, and I will remember the many laughs we had together.

I just figured the board would want to know. He did cover the NY baseball scene for more than 50 years and was awarded the Spink Award in 1986.

Dan Castellano

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wow....sad to hear it. RIP.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

casty

as you know, i worked with jack in the '80s. what a throwback. always treated me well. i'd just soak in whatever he, dick young and phil pepe shared with. many tales of an X-rated nature, but man, could you learn a lot about the biz.

a good lesson for all the youngin's in the biz. in the summer of '69, the magical season, i went to a sleepaway camp and was bunked with a kid who was a jack lang freak. he made sure his folks mailed him jack's stories on the mets from the l.i. press every week. "he's the prez of the bbwa!" the kid would gush. i don't know if jack was the prez then, but the kid thought he was. that was my first taste of jack. i was 12.

god bless jack. and all the baseball writers from that era.

RIP, mr. lang.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, I wonder what that kid is doing today.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

he's making a lot more dinero than i am, for sure. but i got to be colleagues with his hero!!

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very sad news.
    Jack was a classic, old-world curmudgeonly baseball writer ... and a great story-teller, and a truly good guy.

Famed in the Shea press box for the line "Danny, I'm gonna need a little help." As Casty well remembers.

I trust there will be a tribute at Sunday night's NY Chapter BBWAA Dinner.

RIP Jack.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Casty, Jack was always aces with me, even when I was a shoulder-lengthed hair alternative weekly reporter. We just got on for whatever reason.
    I'm deeply sorry to hear of his death. Please pass my condolences to his family and those in his professional family.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In my one and only year covering baseball, fresh out of college, Jack was kind to me after we were introduced by another baseball writing legend. I've always thought well of him after that.
    Mr. Lang had a great career and used to get the honor of calling the Hall Of Fame honorees to tell them they were in. I bet that was a gas.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Twoback, I'm told by Jack O'Connell, the man who replaced Lang as the one to call Hall of Famers, that Lang called 44 members to inform them they were in. That's something.

To the rest of you, I'm pleased some of you had good feelings about the man. As I indicated originally, Lang was a difficult person to deal with at times, and could be a thorn in my side. But whatever he did over the years, he did with the good fortune of the BBWAA in mind. Whether it was policing the press box or working on access to the clubhouse, Lang was the man. And, spnited, for all the help I gave him over the years, he paid me back in his own way. When Lang introduced you to a manager, or a GM, or an owner, it provided an 'in' you couldn't get anywhere else. And if you had reason to call Whitey Herzog, or Tommy Lasorda, a week or so after being introduced to them by Lang, they were ready and willing to talk.

That's what I will choose to remember most about Mr. Lang.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm sorry for his passing, and sorry for those of you who knew him well.

RIP.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got my start in his biz with folks old enough to be my grandparents, and I appreciate the opportunity.

RIP.

12. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Sad to see such a great person as well as a sports writer die.

Draft saved Draft deleted