1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Klugman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 24, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Quincy, 12 Angry Men, but in this little corner of cyberspace, Oscar Madison.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2012/12/24/jack-klugman-dies/1789879/

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Last surviving cast member from original 12 Angry Men, I believe.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Will Sam do the autopsy?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My wife the "Odd Couple" fanatic is not taking this well.

RIP.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Dan Lauria, a good friend, tells me Jack Klugman was one of the nicest actors he has ever worked with, and a great help to young actors We'll all miss him from The Odd Couple, but he was excellent in 12 Angry Men, one of my favorite movies. He will be missed
    RIP Oscar

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Just before seeing this and the news, I was watching a few clips of the old Dean Martin "Man of the Week" roasts. It was Don Rickles' turn to get roasted and Klugman is sitting next to him. As Martin is introducing Charlie Callas (who was imitating George Jessel), Martin turns to both Rickles and Klugman, and both guys burst out laughing, because they knew what to expect with Callas coming up.

http://youtu.be/HPZMWJdNq7g

Rest in Peace to a pheonmeonal actor on this Christmas Eve.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

RIP to what was probably my all-time favorite TV characters.

I know I don't have the conversation verbatim, but one of my favorite lines was from a show when Felix was trying to convince Oscar to get more culture in his life — go to museums, attend the opera . . .
    Oscar: "Opera?! What do I know about opera? The only opera I ever saw had the Marx Brothers in it!"

RIP, Jack, and from one horseplayer to another, I hope you have a great day at the track today.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Outstanding actor. He knew how to deliver lines. RIP.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Great story in the Wonkbook blog on the Washington Post Website today about how Klugman basically got the Orphan Drug Act (the law that finances development of drugs for rare illnesses) passed in the 1980s by having "Quincy" episodes on the issue, including one where a thinly disguised Orrin Hatch (then holding up the bill for one of those incomprehensible inside baseball Senate reasons) was the villain. Sorry, no link, am using my Dad's pride of 1997 computer.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Here ya go:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/25/jack-klugmans-secret-lifesaving-legacy/?tid=pm_pop

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Seemed he had been in poor health for years. RIP.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Really enjoyed his work. His legacy lives on.

Draft saved Draft deleted