1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Kemp

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, May 2, 2009.

1. A guy that was a lot of of Democrats' favorite Republican, not necessarily because of his politics, but because of the way he politicked. A good man who led a great life.

2. Friendly, open-hearted guy who really felt the gap the Southern strategy opened between black folks and the GOP.
    Screwy economist, but forward-thinking in a lot of other ways.
    I wonder if Elbert (Golden Wheels) Dubenion will be at the funeral.
    RIP

3. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

RIP, Congressman Kemp.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

A good QB, a very good man and a brilliant politician.

He absolutely should've been at the top of the ticket in 1996.

RIP. He'll definitely be missed.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

One of the poster guys for finding success in both the sports and political arenas.
    RIP, Congressman.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Fen, if I had to guess, I'd say every one of the AFL Bills who can physically make it to the funeral will be there. Every single one.

Had an idea this might be coming. Damn, how I wish that tip had been wrong.

John French Kemp was the greatest man I've ever known, and it was an honor and a privilege to work for his 1988 Presidential campaign. And by work, I mean the lowest-level volunteer stuff -- manning phone banks, stuffing envelopes, even holding up an "M" placard when we spelled out his name in the back of the auditorium where his primary opponent, Vice-President Bush, was speaking. Didn't care. It was worth it, because this young, idealistic Campus Republican believed, even before I ever met him. After he dropped out of the race, I still wrote him in on my ballot that November, and did the same in '92 even though he didn't run. And I still believe this country would have been far different if he had been elected.

My thoughts are with Joanne and the kids tonight, and with the entire Bills family. First Linda Bogdan, now this ... What a horrible, horrible week.

God bless you, No. 15. Rest well.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Great post.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Though I voted for Clinton in '96, I respected both members of the GOP ticket that year.

RIP.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed -- on both accounts.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Fascinating person. I remember my dad telling me, and this must have been maybe early-Reagan, that Kemp would be the next Republican president. He never got there, but certainly led an impactful life. I attended a debate in which he participated prior to the 1988 election, and he was very impressive.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

A seven-time all-star, a two-time champion, an MVP and a championship-game MVP, not to mention the holder of seven AFL passing records.

Does he belong in Canton?

RIP, Jack.

12. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Best thing about him was some of his work as HUD secretary and his turning ghetto ownership over to the renters, who began overhauling neighborhoods that had ceased to be neighborly.I remember the 60 Minutes story on it as if it were yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted