1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hummer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by franticscribe, Feb 24, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/g-m-to-close-hummer-after-sale-collapses/

Not really that sad to see it go. I thought the original Hummers that were close cousins to the military vehicle were pretty sweet. Once it became basically a Suburban with fancy molding, I lost a lot of interest.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought someone got married.

3. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Of course you're not....but I'm guessing you don't know as many people that work at the plant, as I do. I'm sure they'll note your loss of interest....

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can buy them so inexpensively these days. Cars that cost $60K new can be had for around $15K.

5. franticscribe

I guess I should've mentioned how much it sucks for the people who work there in my OP. I do feel for those people, which includes an old high school buddy.

Still, feeling bad for the workers doesn't change that the product was never really sustainable on its own.

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I get that part. Guess the "not sad to see it go" part just rubbed me wrong. This means more than a few lost jobs, in an area that really, REALLY can't take much more of that. Not that there are many places that can, I guess...

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

A few years back, a female co-worker wrote a column about how she and her husband didn't spoil their two young sons. After all, she wasn't going to give them a Hummer, she wrote. I was editing the column and did my best to not burst out laughing. I changed it to "Jaguar" because that's what our paper's owner drove at the time. I also quietly explained to her why I made the change. She turned about 20 shades of red.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Hard to argue w/ some market forces. And in these days, when people who drive Escalades are seen as over-the-top, it's not shocking that GM is putting the Hummer in a hole and burying it.
    GM realizes it can market cars like the Escalade, Tahoe, etc., and be better off.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Sad about the lost jobs, not displeased that it's being shut down due to its status as a symbol of blatant excess, ecstatic that a brand tied symbolically to the United States military won't become property of the PROC.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I still think the H1s are cool, but the H2 and H3 were terrible in so many ways.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The H3 is the only one I'd consider as a daily driver. The other two are too big to be useful as anything other than a microphallus overcompensation device.

12. franticscribe

The H1 has some utility as a work vehicle, depending on what your needs are. I worked on a farm in high school that had one of the truck versions, and it came in pretty handy. As a commuter car, it would get old fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted