1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hubert Green

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great player. Cancer got its licks on him pretty good, but he kept fighting back.

3. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Interesting timing, given that Green's name has been referenced a lot as Koepka became the second Florida State alum -- after Green -- to win multiple majors.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The narrative on the death threat in 1977 shows that USGA officials have always been dumb. The threat said Green would be shot on the 15th green. They told Green at No. 14, when he had a one-shot lead.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if he was a smoker? I saw him once at the then-Pittsburgh Senior Classic and he was very friendly.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It’s the USGA. No surprise there.

7. playthrough

I don't believe he was but not 100 percent sure.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

So how do you feel about someone like Green, or Miller, O'Meara, Janzen, North, Bill Rogers, Zach Johnson, now Koepka, who won 2 majors relative to guys who are held up as great players, Couples, DLIII, who only won one? Or even the (bummer) case of Norman ("Only" two Opens)? IMHO, majors > regular wins, even substantially more (Miller > Couples).

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Good question.

And just to make things more complicated, where do players like Player, Els, Ballesteros and others who spent time in Japan and Europe playing professional golf rate against the more well known American names.

It sure seems like Els > Mickelson, but I am not sure how the non-American wins should be rated.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazing. Story says this was the first US Open shown final round that showed the lead group start to finish. Yet I can't find anything on youtube. Shouldn't images of a player surrounded by FBI agents while walking up the 18th fairway -- I presume that's what happened -- be among the most famous in the history of sports? Maybe it didn't happen that way. But I'd like to know.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Mickelson has 5 majors and Els 3 so Mick > Els to me.

12. playthrough

Couples (15) and DL III (21) won a lot of Tour events including two Players Championships. Norman won 20 times on the PGA Tour and another 14 on the Euro Tour. Yet everyone thinks they should have won more, and they'd say the same thing. Still, they're all greats. Ditto Green, IMO, who was awfully underrated and overshadowed by all the studs of the '70s yet he won 19 times. Ask anyone to guess Green's career win total and they're not going that high.

Can't put North, Janzen or Koepka (yet) in that group, but I don't think they lose much sleep at night. You know Phil would give up quite a bit (including his Week 1 NFL locks) for just one of their Opens.

Draft saved Draft deleted