1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Homer Smith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Wevurski, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Fascinating guy and a good coach. Particularly liked the comments from Leamon Hall, his former Army quarterback who became his son-in-law, at the bottom of the NYT obit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/sports/football/15smith.html?src=recg

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Got to know him a little bit when I was a student reporter in college. Wonderful guy, always polite and you could just tell by the literary and historical references he dropped into conversation that he wasn't your average football coach.

As Bill Curry said the other day on Ivan Maisel's podcast, Smith might have been the only Princeton, Stanford, Harvard grad who ever coached college football.

Here's a great column on Smith by Cecil Hurt, sports editor of The Tuscaloosa News:

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210404

My favorite Homer Smith story was that he would lie on his back next to the center in both practice and pre-game warm-ups in order to both evaluate and time the center-quarterback exchange. He would say things like, "Jay (quarterback Jay Barker), your top hand needs to be one centimeter to the right."

I think Alabama once went an entire season without a botched center-quarterback exchange.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

One of his departures seriously hurt UCLA. He wasn't there when Troy Aikman came through in '87 and '88. The Bruins probably would have been 11-1 Aikman's junior year and 12-0 and national champions his senior year. They went 10-2 both years.

Anyone who's stayed at the Valley River Inn in Eugene, Ore., can relate. As smart as he was, Homer couldn't find his room in that hotel.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dick Tomey had a great line about Smith's academic pedigree when Smith was coaching for him at Arizona.

"Homer's got degrees from Princeton, Harvard and Stanford. I don't think we have any professors around here who can say that."

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links, fellas. Hadn't thought of Homer Smith in a long time. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted