1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Hiram Bullock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Guitar virtuoso who played on a million sessions, had a solo career and was an original member of the four-man house band on Letterman's NBC show:

http://thejazznetwork.ning.com/

2. Great player, very surprised to hear of his passing yesterday.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Man, that stinks. I have a couple of his CDs. I used to play one all the time way back when. I can't find an obit, but I'm guessing it was cancer, since he was diagnosed with that a while back. R.I.P.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Man that stinks, enjoyed his work on Letterman.

One of my lasting memories of Mr. Bullock was when Don Rickles comes on the show (not 2008 PC but so be it, probably in the late 80s) and says "Hiram?" what kind of mother names her son "Hiram?" "Oh your a black man, now I understand [or something to that effect]" Hilarious.

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

First place I saw this dude's name: Keyboards and guitars for Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero" from the "Footloose" soundtrack. Then I got into jazz, especially funky stuff from the 60s and 70s (Bob James, in particular). Dude was everywhere.

RIP, and keep grooving.

Draft saved Draft deleted