1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Herb Score

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Died at age 75:

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/index.ssf/2008/11/former_indians_broadcaster_her.html

2. sad

my mom's favorite player growing up

score + bob feller

RIP

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The way his playing career was derailed was one of the great disappointments in baseball history, but he went on to have a long career in the sport anyway. RIP.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sad story.

Bill Veeck was essentially the last line of belief, and gave the guy a sustained chance in Obamaland, to the utter agony of Pale Hose loyalists.

Nonetheless, an American Tragedy.

5. Incredibly sad news for anybody who grew up in Cleveland.

My grandfather often talked about what a great pitcher he was, but I spent my entire childhood listening to him on the radio. He was totally unpolished and unpretentious, but a great broadcaster. Just hearing his voice makes me think of summers with the transistor radio.

He was the best. RIP.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

There was a grandfatherly feel to his broadcasts. And sometimes grandfather made hilarious mistakes, but we loved him all the same.

7. chester

chester Member

I'll never forget that the last batter he called was Edgar Renteria in the 1997 World Series, and sure enough, he butchered the name. All you could do was chuckle and say, "That's Herb."

RIP to one of the voices of my childhood. Listening to Indians baseball hasn't been the same since you left.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

It's crazy to think what Score might have done had he stayed healthy.

RIP.

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I remember listening to him do Indians games on my headphones back when I was too young to stay up late watching Tribe games.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I can't remember exactly how it went, but I remember him calling one hit that went something like "It's a long, high fly ball ... and (name of whoever was playing second base) moves under it and makes the catch." I got a kick out of that one when I was little.

I really wish I could remember it better. But he made it sound like it was going to be a home run...

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Aww shit. I really enjoyed listening to Herb when I spent summers in NE Ohio.

His understated delivery kept partner Tom Hamilton in line and the contrast between Score then and Hamilton now is striking. Tribe games are pretty much intolerable to listen to these days and it's not only a reflection upon Hamilton, but a tribute to Score.

RIP.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

To me, there will always be a sad link between him and Tony Conigliaro -- potential greats whose careers were derailed way too early.

Draft saved Draft deleted