1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Helen Reddy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 29, 2020.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sammy Johns, "Chevy Van"

I gave a girl
    A ride in my wagon
    She crawled in and took control
    She was tired
    As her mind was a-draggin'
    I said get some sleep and dream of rock and roll

[Chorus]
    'Cause like a princess she was laying there
    Moonlight dancing off her hair
    She woke up and took me by the hand
    She's gonna love me in my Chevy van
    And that's all right with me

[Verse 2]
    Her young face
    Was like that of an angel
    Her long legs were tanned and brown
    Better keep
    Your eyes on the road, son
    Better slow this vehicle down

[Chorus]
    'Cause like a princess she was laying there
    Moonlight dancing off her hair
    She woke up and took me by the hand
    She's gonna love me in my Chevy van
    And that's all right with me

This goes over worse than Kung Fu Fighting now; of course I enjoy the song still.

I Should Coco, Dyno and maumann like this.
  2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

That song sold a lot of crappy product for Chevrolet, amazingly. "Don't bother knockin' if this van's a-rockin'."

qtlaw likes this.
  3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Count me as another fan of the Sunday reruns of AT40. Aside from the oddities, it’s fun to hear some of the hits from established acts that never made Greatest Hits albums or still get radio play.

maumann likes this.
  4. maumann

AT40, particularly 1970-1974, is a fascinating time capsule of songs I've either forgotten or never heard in the first place. That particularly pertains to songs that barely bubbled up into the low 30s. Did I ever know of Honey-Cone's "Stick-Up" followup to "Want Ads?" Not that I remember. I assumed they were just a one-hit wonder.

In some cases, the program director wherever you lived might not have bothered to add it. And there were more regional hits in those days that charted locally but didn't make it nationally.

Last week was 1971 and I was shocked that "Go Away Little Girl" was No. 1 over stuff like "Maggie May" and "Ain't No Sunshine." When was the last time you heard the Osmonds on a commercial radio station?

Even today's "oldies" stations (F-ing program consultants in SUITS!) probably have fewer than 600 songs in rotation. Even if you lowballed the number needed to compile a list of all the songs that hit the top 40 in any decade, you're talking well over 10,000-15,000 songs.

There's so much forgotten stuff out there -- mostly for good reason -- but it's awesome to hear the rarities every once in a while.

Here's a great website that has all the charts posted by year:

All US Top 40 Singles for 1971 - Top40Weekly.com

5. maumann

From that particular chart, what a tremendous song.

And I just heard again this last week. How it did not chart better than outside the top 40 in the US?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    ChrisLong likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

This song actually was not all that bad, and especially if you remember the wretched wails of "I've Never Been to Me."

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

The top 10 of worst songs from the 1970s would have to be about 200 songs deep. And that still wouldn't get them all.

How bad were things back then? Imagine people wanting to buy and hear "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks. He's DYING, for Chrissakes!

Huggy, HanSenSE and Slacker like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It’s fun too to hear Casey talk about bands that became huge but we’re just hitting the charts.

“Debuting at number 32 this week is a band from San Francisco named Journey with ‘Don’t Stop Believing.”

I Should Coco, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We moved around a lot and it middle school it was hard to make friends. In 1976 and 1977, wed listen to AT 40 and type out the top 10 every week.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One of the benefits of the Canadian content rule was hearing Lighthouse and other Canadian bands besides Guess Who on The Big 8 CKLW
    27 states and four provinces

maumann likes this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Blue Swede’s Hooked on a Feeling (ooga chukka)
    Worst cover EVER

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, the facts are these:
    Burton Cummings is a God of Rock, and the Guess Who kicked ass.

These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed.

Draft saved Draft deleted