1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Harvey Korman, the world is a less funny place.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 29, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"You Teutonic Twat"

I miss him already.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He was the voice of the Flinstones' Great Gazoo.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Priceless.

4. NightOwl

NightOwl Guest

Harvey Korman was brilliant at whatever he did. Bob Thomas' obit for AP pretty much nailed it. No direct quotes yet from Tim Conway or Carol Burnett, and that's probably because they are mourning a man they loved so much.

Korman, Conway, Burnett -- in any order -- made us laugh so much back then. Every week you knew you would laugh your ass off somewhere in that show, and usually for most of it. Vicki Lawrence and Lyle Waggoner were awesome also.

Korman was always on the ball. Blazing Saddles gave him a chance to really shine, and he left you wanting even more.

The mark of a great comic actor.

Korman-Conway-Burnett-Lawrence-Waggoner have always been so close, and it must be so hard for them knowing such a big part of their lives has passed.

RIP, Harvey Korman.

Fifty years from now, Harvey will still be making people laugh........on YouTube, Hulu.com, wherever. To see Tim Conway make Harvey Korman struggle not to laugh, and then watch Harvey just give it up anyway, even though the skit had been rehearsed and he knew what might be coming.........well, that's as great as comedy gets sometimes.

Sometimes we all tuned in just to see what would make Harvey crack up.
    Harvey Korman had the best job in the world for 12 years, and he knew that, too.

Phil Hartman, RIP himself, probably was so good because he studied Harvey Korman and learned how to be the second banana that steals the scene with great comic acting. You couldn't find two better comic actors than those guys, except that Tim Conway makes it a trio.

I hope Harvey Korman and Phil Hartman are having a long lunch tomorrow.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'll add another one to this list, not that is important. Earle Hagen, who composed the music themes to the Andy Griffith Show, the Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle, and I Spy, among others, passed away on 5/26/08.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Scrubs episode where Richard Kind, the hypochondriac, revealed his name: Harvey Korman.

"It doesn't get my as much action as you'd think."

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Kiiiiiiinnnnnn-ky.
    If "Blazing Saddles" was the only thing Harv ever did, he'd still be a legend. Damn, if Madeleine Kahn got an Oscar with about one tenth the screen time...
    That movie could NOT be made today - one of the most joyously politically incorrect movies ever.
    I would guess Harv is doing a cocktail or two right now with John Vernon - there's two all-time comic villain performances for you.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I just finished watching my Blazing Saddles DVD.
    I wonder how many of us watched it tonight.
    So long, Harvey.

9. RIP, Harvey.

You look like the piss boy!

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

oh my goodness, i'm cryin here

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just popped in "Blazing Saddles" right now.

"Washington ... Jefferson ... MCKINLEY!"

God, what a classic.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Saw that episode last night. When he revealed his name, I smiled and thought of this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted