1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Wendelstedt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

One of the best umpire/coach stories I ever heard: JUCO Baseball:

Head coach at this school always sat in a lawn chair in the dugout. He was a helluva character. Bang bang play somewhere. He pops out of his chair, and starts yelling. Finally sits back down, and tells his assistant....."I want you to go back out there, and don't you come back in this dugout until you get tossed."

Young assistant is full of piss and vinegar....runs like hell out to the ump.....pointing, yelling.....ump doesn't run him......Assistant starts back towards the dugout.......coach yells back...."NO....NO....NO"......assistant starts back at the ump....yelling and screaming again......finally....he has to tell the ump...."Listen......he is not going to let me back in the dugout for the next game if you don't run me."

Oh...OK.....then he runs him.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I was hoping to find that clip on YouTube, but alas, no dice. This is a definitive example of a crowd getting to a player. If I remember, Hooton was doing great and then came unglued.

Good memory about Luzinski still being in left. How about Gene Garber had two strikes and two outs on Vic Davalillo (I think), no one on base and a two-run lead in the top of the ninth. And then, like Hooton, it fell apart in spectacular fashion. That was a classic game.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

MLB doesn't allow its clips to be put on YouTube, which is another reason MLB (the corporate entity, not the sport) sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted