1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Wendelstedt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dead at 73. He'd had brain cancer for some years:

http://bit.ly/ynpUpj

Worked five World Series, seven NLCS and four all-star games in 33 years as a big-league umpire. Also operated an umpire school in Florida for years.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

An excellent ump. Very sad news.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP to one of the best.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

As a 1991 graduate of the Wendelstedt Umpire School, this makes me very sad. Harry was a great man.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is he related to the defensive coordinator of the Bills?

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

RIP Harry.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Really?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Nice guy, as many of the umpires are. So long, Harry.

9. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Wendelstedt was behind the plate during Game 3 of the 1977 NLCS, when the Dodgers' Burt Hooton "lost it" in the second or third inning because Harry was squeezing him. It's funny watching that game because Harry Kalas and his partner (Richie Ashburn?) were laughing at Harry's calls that resulted in Hooton getting pulled and Lasorda giving him an earful. I think he had missed an earlier call against the Phillies, too, so it seemed like this was evening things out. Of course, that's just conjecture on my part.

10. Michael_ Gee

I was at that game, Corky, but from where I sat in the Vet third deck, I couldn't tell about the strike zone. No doubt Hooten choked big time, though. Then Danny Ozark forgot to put in a real outfielder for Luzinski. Oh, well. At the time I took it hard.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I could sit around a bar table, and listen to umpiring and refereeing stories for hours upon hours.

Me thinks Harry was a helluva story teller.

12. Michael_ Gee

One of the best parts of covering baseball back in my increasingly bygone day was if the Sox skipper got chucked or if there was a brawl and then going up to the umps' room for comment. Always a great story, and a whole different way of looking at the game. I loved Earl Weaver, but I understood when umps hated him.

Draft saved Draft deleted