1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 7, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I always liked the scene when they first gave him the horse (Sofie, if I remember correctly). From Potter being stunned to Radar handing him the reigns and saying "Here's the keys" to Potter slipping in horse shit and breaking into a huge grin about it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thought about Sherman Potter when the "horse meat" story came out.

He loved horses. Noble animals. He had a line once about people eating horses. It really bothered him.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

OMG. I *still* bust that one out in the shower from time to time.

I love to go swimmin'
    with bowlegged women
    and swim between their legs,
    swim between their legs!

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

96. A long and good life.

RIP, Colonel.

signed, someone who still records and watches the reruns.

5. Ken Levine - writer for MASH and announcer for the Seattle Mariners remembers Harry Morgan

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2011/12/rip-harry-morgan.html

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Moddy, I wish I had been old enough to see "Dragnet" and compare Harry Morgan's performances to his stint with "M*A*S*H."

No doubt that Sherman Potter was a key to the later years of M*A*S*H's run, but won't necessarily say the most important given that Charles Emerson Winchester III was also an excellent addition. A good foil for Hawkeye and B.J., yet a capable surgeon, much sharper than Frank Burns in many other ways and nowhere near the menace to himself and those around him.

Favorite scene? One in which Morgan never said a word. A tank ran over a Jeep in the compound and Potter, ever the good and loyal horse soldier, walked up a shot the mashed, mangled mess. Not only funny, but also no animals were harmed during filming.

Still, sad to hear though 96 is a full life. RIP, good sir.

7. It's a shame Harry Potter wasn't able to outlive Mike Farrell

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I always thought the early M*A*S*H years were a lot closer in style to the movie, which is one of the great subversive films ever made. But it is pretty true that the show was better overall with Potter in charge and Winchester as the foil.

Also, not many people recall that one of Harry Morgan's bigger early appearances was a substantial supporting role in the "Ox-Bow Incident" with Henry Fonda.

RIP to a fine actor.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The follow-up lines were what made that scene...
    when Potter slipped in the horse poop, Frank Burns said "that's disgusting"
    To which Potter responded "to me that's like a tiptoe through the tulips"
    and Radar said to Sophie "good girl"

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And since no one else has mentioned it yet, he was also excellent as the judge in "Inherit the Wind":

[​IMG]

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Point of order: Abe Vigoda is only 90.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

This puzzles me on *so* many levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted