1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Abe outlasts another.

Liked him better on Dragnet than M*A*S*H
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I would have guessed he was 96 when he was on M*A*S*H. Definitely one of those guys who was always of indeterminate age. RIP.
  3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Potter's "tontine" toast from the M*A*S*H episode "Old Soldiers":

RIP, Sherm.
  4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was my favorite character in the second half of the run of M*A*S*H. As the grownup in charge, he made the anarchy around him crackle better than when everyone, including the commander, was a cutup. I guess it's a great divide between those who like the first half of the show's run better, and those like myself who like the second half better. I just think the characters were deeper and the show of a better quality (tho the first half of the series was excellent in its own right). That's even granting that the St. Hawkeye aspect was a bit grating.
  5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP Harry Morgan -- So long, Colonel Potter.

He actually had two roles on MASH as a guest nut general once, then Col. Potter.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I remember as a very small child watching him in reruns of "Pete & Gladys." I, too, felt that he was about 100 when became a MASH cast member. A solid professional actor, a tribe that can never have enough members.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"Ah....horse hockey."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was also fun in the movie version of "Dragnet" as the chief.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

RIP Joe Gannon and Col. Potter - and yes, he was really cool in the "Dragnet" movie, too.

What a great, great actor.

And I agree with the above comments about "Dragnet" being better than "M*A*S*H" - and "M*A*S*H" being a better show with him. He really did help develop the other characters. I hadn't thought about that before.
  10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

"A bit grating" is a HUGE understatement. Many times, it was all about Hawkeye (and Alan Alda's ego)
  11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Helluva pull there, Steak.

I'll never forget Klinger (Jamie Farr) practicing the forging of Sherman Potter's signature -- using his voice.

"SHER-man ... POT-ter."

RIP to one hell of a character actor.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I always felt his best scene was in his first appearance, when he replaced Henry. The guys still didn't know what kind of C.O. they would have, until he absently-minded said while they were finishing up surgery: "I sure could use a belt." Then they're huddled around the still and he tells them he got his Purple Heart when a still he made in WWII blew up.

Draft saved Draft deleted