1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Abe outlasts another.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/arts/television/harry-morgan-mash-and-dragnet-actor-dies-at-96.html?_r=1&smid=tw-nytimestv&seid=auto

Liked him better on Dragnet than M*A*S*H

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I would have guessed he was 96 when he was on M*A*S*H. Definitely one of those guys who was always of indeterminate age. RIP.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Potter's "tontine" toast from the M*A*S*H episode "Old Soldiers":

RIP, Sherm.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Was my favorite character in the second half of the run of M*A*S*H. As the grownup in charge, he made the anarchy around him crackle better than when everyone, including the commander, was a cutup. I guess it's a great divide between those who like the first half of the show's run better, and those like myself who like the second half better. I just think the characters were deeper and the show of a better quality (tho the first half of the series was excellent in its own right). That's even granting that the St. Hawkeye aspect was a bit grating.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

RIP Harry Morgan -- So long, Colonel Potter.

[​IMG]

He actually had two roles on MASH as a guest nut general once, then Col. Potter.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I remember as a very small child watching him in reruns of "Pete & Gladys." I, too, felt that he was about 100 when became a MASH cast member. A solid professional actor, a tribe that can never have enough members.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

"Ah....horse hockey."

RIP

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He was also fun in the movie version of "Dragnet" as the chief.

RIP.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Active Member

RIP Joe Gannon and Col. Potter - and yes, he was really cool in the "Dragnet" movie, too.

What a great, great actor.

And I agree with the above comments about "Dragnet" being better than "M*A*S*H" - and "M*A*S*H" being a better show with him. He really did help develop the other characters. I hadn't thought about that before.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

"A bit grating" is a HUGE understatement. Many times, it was all about Hawkeye (and Alan Alda's ego)

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Helluva pull there, Steak.

I'll never forget Klinger (Jamie Farr) practicing the forging of Sherman Potter's signature -- using his voice.

"SHER-man ... POT-ter."

RIP to one hell of a character actor.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I always felt his best scene was in his first appearance, when he replaced Henry. The guys still didn't know what kind of C.O. they would have, until he absently-minded said while they were finishing up surgery: "I sure could use a belt." Then they're huddled around the still and he tells them he got his Purple Heart when a still he made in WWII blew up.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted