1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Kalas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 13, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not the same kind of overly dramatic voice, but with the right use of music and some very slight adjustment to his delivery, what would you think of Liev Schreiber? NFL Films used to be so unique, but in this era of 24/7 sports channels and hightlights, something less in-your-face than Facenda, but still memorable like Schreiber could work. Subtlety, rather than trying to shout louder (and being a poor imitation of a Faceda or Kalas), a la Chris Berman. Just a thought.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

One thing is for sure, Steve Sabol won't be selecting Sreamin A. Smith, Chris Berman or the King of Booya! as the next voice of NFL films.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm about to utter words I never thought I'd utter: That's a good idea, Ragu. :D

Liev did some narration for an HBO Sports special (1980 Olympic hockey team, maybe?). He was really good. Lent an air of authenticity to the proceedings without MAKING IT ALL ABOUT HIM!!!!

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He's done several, BYH. And yes, I love his voice. I enjoyed listening to his narration, and yet, after the last one I heard him do (Duke-North Carolina, maybe?), I couldn't help but feel like HBO could use some variety on those voice-overs. He's also done PBS stuff, stuff on boxing, commercials and more. He might risk being overexposed. If I feel that way after a handful of sports documentaries, I wonder how he'd go over on a more permanent basis with NFL Films.

But right now I can't think of anyone whose voice I like better. There is a point where I have enough of it, though.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I believe Liev did the narration for all of the "Sports of the 20th Century" docs that HBO has made recently -- Miracle on Ice, college football integration, Duke-UNC rivalry, etc. He also did some of the "When It Was A Game" docs from the early 1990s.

He's the best narrator out there.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Philly loses another legend. Les Keiter dies.
    http://www.philly.com/dailynews/breaking/sports/20090415_Les_Keiter__called_Palestra_bomb_scare_game__dies_at_89.html

7. Jim Gardner?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't think he'd be interested but definitely has a voice. One thing I think is fairly certain, the new voice will come from the Delaware Valley. Sabol's roots run very deep with loyalty to the area.

9. Larry Kane wouldn't be too bad, either, but he has that whole Beatles thing.

10. hate his voice

everything he says sounds disingenuous

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Larry Kane would be nice but his voice, which once was distinctive is now somewhat average.
    While I like him as a person, he's a great guy, I hope they don't select Merrill Reece. I've never cared for his voice. But as I said earlier, he's a great guy.

12. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

James Earl Jones?

Draft saved Draft deleted