1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Kalas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 13, 2009.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

His pipes were legendary. I got the mlb.tv package and watch Phillies games just to listen to him. He'll be missed.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh my God -- just in Philly last week. He loved his job, doing what he did, and I guess you can say he died where he was happiest.

What a huge loss for baseball and for the Phillies -- hell, for Philadelphia in general. He was to Philly what Geno's and Pat's are to cheesesteaks, what Le Bec Fin is to elegant restaurants, etc.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Saturday will mark the anniversary of Mike Schmidt's 500th homer. The Phillies will be at home at CBP against San Diego. Won't be many dry eyes that night.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Who took his place in the booth today?

That had to be a very difficult assignment.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Considering the fact the Nationals played the game in spite of how wrenching this loss is, terse is deserved.

Shame on baseball and the Nationals for playing this game. And yes, I'm a card carrying Nats fan.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I disagree. Harry would've wanted the Phillies to play. There's no question in my mind about that. For them to play and win was the best tribute the club could've done.
    I think people look at differently because it happened at the ballpark, but those who have met Harry know that was his home. He was comfortable there. I'm at peace with that.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The Nationals offered to postpone but the Phillies declined, citing as Drip pointed out, Harry would have wanted them to play.

If that game was in Philly instead of DC there's probably no way it gets played. That would have been way too emotional for everybody in the ballpark.

8. mb

mb Active Member

I'm not sure you're getting at, but if you're suggesting HtK got to call any of the 1980 WS games, you don't have any idea WTF you're talking about.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I do know WTF I'm talking about. My memory may be a bit hazy but i seem to recall that Harry did local radio, which was WCAU, for the WS games. It's been a long time since 1980. It is quite possible I'm getting 1980 and 1993 mixed up. Sometimes the years kind of run together. LOL

10. mb

mb Active Member

And in the interest of making this easy ...

Rule forced Kalas to miss 80 WS

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ok, let's keep it on track.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I dunno. Philly fans would've said that Harry would've wanted the game played. There are arguments for and against playing. Either way, it's going to be emotional for those closely involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted