1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harry Kalas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11625834

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Sorry to be so terse, just wanted to get the news out there.

I didn't grow up in the area or anything, but obviously one of the iconic voices.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ah jeeze. Iconic indeed.

RIP.

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Man, that really, really sucks. What a tough first week of the season for baseball.
    I really got to enjoy Harry since getting MLB Extra Innings several years ago. What a distinctive, amazing voice - and like me, a University of Iowa grad.
    RIP, Harry.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Didn't get to listen to Philly broadcasts a lot, but a distinctive voice and a legend of the game.He will be missed.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Living in Tennessee, surrounded by Braves fans and Reds fans, I somehow became a Phillies fan in 1973.

In The Sporting News' 1974 baseball preview, they listed all the teams' TV/radio information. So I spent that season struggling to get the signal from WCAU (1210-AM), which would fade in and out. I liked the West Coast games, because many stations near 1210 shut down or cut down their power late at night, and Kalas' voice would come in more clearly. I was literally the stereotypical kid with the radio next to him in bed listening to a baseball game.

RIP, Harry.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

When Harry came to Philly, he had to replace an aging Bill Campbell, who called Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game against the New York Knicks in Hershey, Pa. Kalas won over Philly and in time, his voice became legendary with everything from NFL Films to NBA highlight shows. He was a pro and ALWAYS took the time to say hello no matter who you are or your lot in life in the journalism food chain.
    My heart goes out to his family. His son Todd, now with the Rays, cut his teeth at WFAN with the Mets and no doubt, being Harry's son helped secure the gig. But he has since stepped out of his shadow.
    Just very depressing news. I knew he had some health problems during spring training but thought he'd turned the corner.
    RIP to a baseball legend and an even better human being.

8. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

As a Yankee fan who went to a Philly school for five years, there were many, many times that I wished they could trade broadcasters so I could hear Kalas instead of Sterling, Kay and/or Waldman.

For as long as I live, I will never forget the time that Harry introduced me in front of the crowd attending the 2005 PSWA Awards dinner. I was there because I won the college sports writing award (musta been a weak field from UPenn) & he came over to speak with me for a little bit. Nicest guy, without a doubt. Then he went up and without any hesitation, he even pronounced my last name correctly...and you wouldn't believe how many different ways I've heard people butcher my last name.

My thoughts & prayers are with him, his family and the Phillies. Baseball (and the NFL) won't sound as good any more.

9. Took Facenda's place on NFL Films.
    Who takes his?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sabol has other people doing stuff. Have been phasing them in for a while now. Harry was no John Facenda but he did a great job.

11. Woah. I was just flipping channels a few minutes ago and saw the Cubs-Rockies game was in a rain delay. They were just talking about Harry not getting to call the Phillies' World Series clincher in 1980 due to MLB's broadcast contracts at the time, but how he got to call last year's. I must have flipped away before they mentioned he had died.

I'm glad he not only had a chance to enjoy that moment, but also to enjoy all last week's festivities, including getting to throw out the first ball (I THINK it was in Wednesday's game, no?).

RIP Harry.

EDIT: After reading the above link, I noticed that he died preparing to call today's Phils game in Washington. Seems the only way for a broadcaster of his caliber to go out. Sigh!!!! :( Another great voice (to join Harry (Caray, that is), Skip, Red Barber, Mel Allen and several others) to call some of those great ball games beyond the cornfield.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Harry called both games. However, he called them because he was the Phillies broadcaster and the games were seen on the Philly stations. Phillies fans who didn't want to hear the national schtick, could listen to their local guys call the big game.

Draft saved Draft deleted