1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harold Ramis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Feb 24, 2014.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Damn – Egon has crossed the stream(s).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-harold-ramis-dead-20140224,0,2259309.story

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that sucks...

RIP to an underappreciated talent.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agree word for word, Mizzou. A punch to my gut. Just watched "Stripes" last night. Damn, damn, damn.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw an interview with Ramis years ago during which he was asked if he was the class clown as a kid. He said no, but he wrote for the class clown. Then he explained that he would quietly say something funny or make a suggestion and then the actual class clown would repeat the joke or act on the suggestion and get the laugh (often also getting in trouble).

I thought that was a great description of what I liked about Ramis. He was very funny, but he didn't need to be the one at the center of attention as long as people were laughing.

This news sucks.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Well-stated, oop. Washington University graduate, IIRC. Brains are a must to get into that place.

His writing credits are numerous. This news is hitting me like a bale of hay, I guess because of last night.

6. Mizzougrad96

I remember years ago in college, I was describing Ramis to someone and he thought I was talking about Rick Moranis. As soon as he saw Ramis, he said, "Oh yeah, I love that guy!"

Directed Caddyshack and Groundhog Day and was the voice of Marty Moose in the original Vacation movie.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Damn. He was a part of many of my favorite movies as a writer, director, actor or combination of all.
    This sucks.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What a legacy. Every golf course in America has people quoting Caddyshack every single day.

That Trib obit mentioned that Ramis and Bill Murray had been estranged for years (though Murray visited Ramis recently), wonder what that was about.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Also co-wrote Animal House and Meatballs. RIP

10. Mizzougrad96

I watched the documentary on the making of Caddyshack last year. He was talking about how much the movie was changed at the last minute to take full advantage of Dangerfield, Chase, Murray etc...

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, supposedly there was a whole separate story line about the other caddies that got cut. They wrote and shot the scene where Ty Webb "plays through" Carl's apartment on the fly because they realized that the two had not yet been on camera together.

12. Mizzougrad96

I thought they said that scene was 100 percent inprovised too...

Draft saved Draft deleted