1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harmon Killebrew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 17, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, Steak, that's not a byproduct of grouchy old guys doing the voting. That's a byproduct of a .256 average staring at you. Killer is a legit Hall hitter, but that number was pretty low, even for that era.

Is that to say that in the new sabermetrics, batting average means THAT little?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When your career OBP is .376 and your career slugging is .509, yes, batting average means bupkis.

3. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Pretty much what Steak said, shotty. He had a great eye. Walked 100 times in nine seasons, including walking 145 times while hitting 49 HR during his MVP season in 1969.

If he played today, he'd be a lot more appreciated.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Fair enough. Good answers.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Harmon Killebrew's funeral was today.

I'm watching part of the replay on FSN right now (couldn't watch it from work, just got home and came in on the middle of it.)

Of all people, Bert Blyleven's eulogy got me.

:'( :'( :'(

Goodbye, my childhood hero. And thank you for always being a nice guy through and through.

Draft saved Draft deleted