1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Harmon Killebrew

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by UPChip, May 17, 2011.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2011-05-17-1776440648_x.htm

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see the purpose behind this. I guess it's kinda like a time capsule or burial, but to me it seems a little insensitive that every time a player crosses the plate, they'll be stomping on the picture of Killebrew.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking Thome or Adam Dunn.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I read somewhere the Twins are wearing their throwback unis at their remaining home games as a tribute. Wonderful gesture. RIP, Mr. Killebrew

4. Steak Snabler

Pretty serendipitous that Killebrew dies this week in Scottsdale and the Twins play an interleague series at Arizona this weekend.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

RIP

When I was a kid, in probably 1979 or so, I went with my grandfather to a garage sale and there was a box of old baseball cards for sale. I think my grandpa paid $5 for the box that was mostly 1967-68 cards.

The box was a goldmine with a Bench rookie and a Carew rookie among the gems.

But as he was going through the box, the first card he stopped on was a Harmon Killebrew. I remember he said, "You would have loved this guy..."

I'll never forget that.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

My earliest and only memory is his lone season with the Royals. Obviously, I missed a lot.

R.I.P. to someone who seems to have been a gracious gentleman, in addition to a baseball great.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

RIP. All I knew about him what the scant bit in baseball books, and he didn't get the publicity that someone of his obvious ability should have. I do that, in one book of all-time lineups, they were trying to decide where to put him in the Twins lineup, mentioning that "Killebrew played both positions equally badly, but he has to be in here somewhere because of his bat."

I think if I had been born long before I was and was a bigger seamhead, I would have really liked Harmon Killebrew. A great baseball player and a better man by every account that matters.

RIP, good sir.

9. gators85

gators85 New Member

Tribute and interview Harmon gave in 2007:

http://www.cyinterview.com/2011/05/cyinterview-remembers-baseball-legend-harmon-killebrew-a-look-back-at-our-2007-cyinterview/

10. Steak Snabler

Twins held a memorial press conference today. Kent Hrbek, Jack Morris, Paul Molitor and Tony Oliva were among those on-hand.

Hrbek, a Minnesota native, called Killebrew "Paul Bunyan in a baseball uniform." Sounds about right.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Like to see so many of the old guys still in the area. Granted, three of them are from Minnesota but still good to see.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Steak, thanks for passing this along.

Draft saved Draft deleted