1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hank Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I haven't turned on the local news yet, but can only imagine the tributes. If Martin Luther King Jr. represents the soul of this city during civil rights and Atlanta's coming of age, Henry Aaron was its heart. Even the generation that never saw him play -- who grew up with Chipper, Smoltzie and Andruw -- understood it was Aaron who was the trailblazer.

The Braves wound up in an Atlanta that was still deeply divided and segregated in the mid-'60s, and it couldn't have been easy for Aaron to be constantly reminded of the injustices in which he had grown up in Mobile. But it never affected his play, which was so consistently high-caliber, season after season, on a team that was good but never great.

I remember reading a Tom Seaver piece talking about the 1969 NL Championship Series and how he had nightmares about facing Aaron. No matter what he threw, Hank hit it out.

The Hammers is such a great idea, because the logo is a simple change from a tomahawk to a sledgehammer -- and the fans can even keep their stupid "chop," just with fists closed.

All-time leader in RBI and total bases. Second in home runs. Third in hits. Fourth in runs scored. Twenty five All-Star Games.

RIP to one of baseball's elite.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read an interview House gave, where the Braves relievers in the bullpen all carved out specific territories based upon seniority where they would stand so they could try to catch Aaron's 715th. His homer went in House's territory, so that's why he was able to catch it.

garrow and Mngwa like this.
  3. maumann

4. maumann

misterbc likes this.
  5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was a white box on the scoreboard I seem to remember signifying where some milestone home run was hit. But I can't remember which. 700, perhaps?

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 2.25.34 PM.png

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Watch that sweet swing; anyone worried about launch angle? most importantly, you see him adjusting his cup 10 times, or his batting gloves 10 times, or Downing taking 30 secs to make the pitch? Dammit we need to get that nonsense out of baseball (Theo you taking notes?) That stuff, not so much analytics, is what's killing the game.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Any reaction from Barry Bonds? I wonder if he’s capable of feeling a sense of guilt or embarrassment?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another instance of the weird times. Gee will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Red Sox didn't integrate until 1959.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not through both the Cream and the Clear.

----

Sad beyond words, not because I'm the biggest seamhead, but moreso because with any luck, the administrative changeover might give us a better chance to evolve and advance past racism. Few would have deserved to be part of it more than Hank Aaron. Because, while all minorities have suffered as a result, few suffered more than Aaron. To carry himself with that much grace and dignity and that much gratitude while breaking the all-time home run mark was remarkable.

RIP, good sir and Thank You.

OscarMadison and maumann like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Think for a minute about the value of product placement advertising there. BankAmericard, right? Lot of impressions.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

On top of everything else, Hank Aaron had the best, and most distinctive, home run trot ever.

Even then, in all his glory, Aaron's enduring grace and modesty were his daily calling cards.

And the older Aaron and I got, the more I admired him for everything he gave to the world.

RIP, Hammer.

Gutter and OscarMadison like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not sure if it's in the SI vault and don't have time to look, but SI had a great story by George Plimpton the week after 715, interviewing everyone from House to Milo Hamilton. In today's SI, it would be a charticle.

Draft saved Draft deleted