1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hank Aaron

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Damn. A titan.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

In 1975, Aaron came back to Milwaukee, this time with the Brewers. Check out the ovation he received at the All-Star Game at County Stadium:

Talk about love (also, if you have three hours and 20 minutes to yourself, watch this game. 70s baseball in all its glory). RIP to a player who retired the year I was born, but who I loved reading about starting from a young age.

Gutter likes this.
  4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Career .300 hitter, three gold gloves, twice led the league in hits...

A lot more than just home runs.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Courtesy of former Tigers pitcher Bill Slayback and Ernie Harwell

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have the vaguest memory of his 715th home run from when I was young. After I learned how to read I got one of those scholastic books sports biographies about him and I must have read it 100 times. I got to love him even more when I got older -- there was something about the way he carried himself that made him seem like the kind of man I wanted to be. Little known fact about him (or maybe it is well known and I am not aware): He was a vegetarian.

RIP to an icon.

Wenders and maumann like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

First time I've been brought to tears by a "celebrity death" since David Bowie.

9. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

As a black man that really grew up on baseball, losing Joe Morgan, Bob Gibson and Hank Aaron in about 3-4 months is just completely devastating. Jackie Robinson is always the standard. There's no question about that. He's the guy.

Gibson was the most feared, intimidating pitcher on earth. Morgan could do a little bit of everything. And then there's Hank. Gibson and Morgan were giants, but Hank was a giant among giants. He was like Superman. And I felt like his story was finally starting to be told. The value he had in baseball and the man that he is was just starting to be appreciated.

One of the good things to come out of the Barry Bonds chase for home runs was that Hank Aaron going to get a second chance to be placed on a pedestal even if it was less because of reverence for him and more because of the general disdain for Bonds.

People die. He was 86. He lived a long life. But I'm still hopeful there will be sort of a renaissance of black players in baseball and I wish these guys were around to see it happen.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Well, crap.
    RIP to the Hammer, the home run king.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

One of my favorite memories was sitting in the Tiger Stadium bleachers for the 1971 All Star Game
    Starting NL outfield was Aaron in left, Mays in center and Clemente in right

Dog8Cats, maumann and heyabbott like this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Only two living HOF members who are older -- Willie Mays and Whitey Herzog.

Draft saved Draft deleted