1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hammer Pants' family pet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

HP,

I know you've loved Avery forever and how he was always there after your baseball games. Win or lose, Avery didn't care. He just wanted a lap to sleep in and a scratch behind the ears.

Thanks for sharing the pic. He's a good-looking fella.

All the best,
    Hwy

Edit: How's your brother doing with the situation?

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Your Avery took the valiant way home.

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Awwww ...
    I was already tearing up before I saw the picture of Avery, who could have been the twin brother of Thumper ... my bestest buddy for over half of my first 30 years in this world. Thirteen years after the last night I held him, waiting for the end to come, it still hurts.

Thoughts are with you, HP.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll never forget when my dog died a few years ago. The night before I had her put to sleep she was in considerable pain and was completely out of sorts. It was just terrible.

It was my wife's dog originally, but she could not bear to take her to the vet, so I did. I initially wanted no part of watching her go, but I stuck it out so I could give her comfort. Just before she was euthanized, she was briefly lucid and gave me a kiss. I'm glad I was there for her.

I feel for you, Hammer. Losing a pet sucks.

5. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

HP, I feel for you, man. Had a cocker spaniel named Chuck who we got when I was in sixth grade.
    He lived another 12 years after that - and he was probably 3 when we got him from the vet clinic as a stray who would have been put down in a few days. He beat back a mysterious illness that sapped his appetite for a month, so bad that we took him to the vet and thought he'd never make it home.
    He lived another few years, until I was out of college and dating my wife. He had obvious tumors all over his body, but the last Christmas we had with him, he made a point to come to my bedroom downstairs and sleep with me one final time - like he was saying goodbye.
    3 months later, my parents had boarded him at the vet's for a trip, and the vet noticed him laboring and coughing pretty good. By the time they could do anything about it, he was gone.
    I was covering an SEC basketball hoops tournament in Atlanta, and by sheer chance, I'd watched "My Dog Skip" at the hotel that morning (a movie about a boy's relationship with a dog).
    I took the news that evening OK, but when I started talking about how I'd watched that movie that morning, I just absolutely lost it in my girlfriend (now my wife's) arms.
    It's tough. Very tough. But we got married a year later and got a black cocker spaniel just like Chuck - so it's like his spirit lives on with him.
    People are very attached to their pets, with good reason, but it sounds like Avery lived a valiant life. You grieve because you care, and that's OK and very normal. I know I did.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

We had a dog -- Barky -- for 18 years. He was a terrier cross who followed my wife everywhere. Went to work with her every day (her dad owns a construction company and she runs the office). We bawled like babies when we had to put him down and still have his ashes sitting on the TV stand (my wife jokes that he's much quieter now) :). I write a family/slice of life type column in the Saturday paper. The one I wrote when we lost him is the most response I've ever received-- some of the most touching, personal stories I've ever read.
    We still miss Barky terribly, but after greiving for a long time, we decided we were ready for another dog. Marley (my daughter named her) is a beautiful little husky mix with a character all her own. She will be four this year.
    It's not easy, Hammer. But it does get easier. And your cat was well-loved for a very long time. Take some comfort in that and know you have a lot of friends here who feel your pain.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I knew there were a lot of fellow animal lovers on here, and it's easier to type than talk about it right now. I've got a lot of travel and work on the schedule the next few weeks, which will help.

I really appreciate everyone's words on here. It's helped.

I don't even want to think about how tough today would have been if it came out of nowhere, and I hadn't made it home to see him.

8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Dusty doesn't even begin to describe this thread. Condolences, HP. I've lost many a pet and it never gets any easier.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of the best things you can do on this earth is to give a loved one a good home and a good heart, and welcome that pet into your family. Sounds like Avery lived like a king. All my best, HP. You did good by your cat and I'm sure he did good by you. That's all either of you can ask for.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

Dang, HP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

How wonderful is it that Avery was able to hang in there to spend one final Christmas with you?

My condolences, HP. RIP, Avery.

It really is getting dusty in here...

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I know how you feel, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm glad you got to visit with him too.

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Heartbreaking story, Hammer. All the best to you as you negotiate through the upcoming weeks. Hopefully, you can take solace in getting to spend time with Avery one last time before he moved on.

Draft saved Draft deleted