1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hal Fishman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Claws for Concern, Aug 7, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Great story about her...
    I was watching that nightly train wreck -- well, because you had to.
    She was announcing John McEnroe's retirement. Does a nice minute or so on the life and career of tennis' biggest star. He could play. He was controversial. He transcended the sport.

Then she concluded her story with a summation line, and I quote:

"John McEnroe, certainly one of the greatest athletes of his E.R.A."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nice editorial in today's Times.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-ed-fishman8aug08,0,6484710.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

With the death of Hal Fishman, and before him newscaster Jerry Dunphy and Hall of Fame basketball broadcaster Chick Hearn, the generation of radio and TV personalities that helped knit together sprawling postwar Southern California is drawing ever to a close. We will be poorer with its passing.

And from the obit, a sad, but true, comment:

"He's really the last of the old-fashioned broadcast journalists who cared about giving information to the public," Joe Saltzman, a journalism professor at the USC Annenberg School for Communication, told The Times on Tuesday. "He had fought for years against the dumbing down of television news -- celebrity journalism and car chases and all the silliness -- and tried to maintain the criteria he believed in. He wanted to give people news that affected their lives, stories of substance. I don't think a Hal Fishman would be hired today in a local news market."

Draft saved Draft deleted