1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Guy Clark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 17, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

With the Clash?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

NC beat me to it.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

According to the liner notes in Live Shots, one of the criminally underrated live albums out there, Joe toured England with the Clash in 1980.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Guitarist Lloyd Maines was in Ely's band during that tour of England opening for the Clash and when Ely opened for the Clash on their US tour.
    I had the opportunity to talk to him about it when I caught him touring with Texas singer-songwriter Terri Hendrix. I remember him telling me how great the shows were but how a lot of the early punk fans didn't fully get what the Clash were about.
    Trivia tidbit - Joe Ely is one of the backup singers on The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go"

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Huh. Thought he did.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You can hear Joe pretty clearly at one point in that song, I remember reading Joe's mother wrote out the Spanish lines they recite in the song.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Damn. First time Joe played England was in 1970. The Clash tour was his fourth there. The archives at joeely.com has all his various dates, when/where/who with.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

It was at the country music festival at Wembley. Also saw Dennis Weaver :D

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Was he riding a horse?

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In 1977, Weaver was part of this lineup -- Carroll Baker, Philomena Begley, The Cotton Mill Boys, Don Everly, The Dillards, Don Gibson, Larry Gatlin, Crystal Gayle, Lloyd Green, Emmylou Harris, Frank Jennings Syndicate, Albert Lee, Ray Lynam and The Hillbillies, Keith Manifold, Jim & Jesse McReynolds, Mercy Brothers, Jody Miller, Mickey Newbury, Oak Ridge Boys, Tommy Overstreet, Carl Perkins, Jean Shepard, Billie Jo Spears, Hank Thompson and The Brazos Valley Boys, Don Williams and Dennis Weaver.

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted